The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse School Project (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-school-project-101146/)

jenainy 10-21-2011 09:23 PM

Horse School Project

So, every two years our school has this big project for the high schoolers, called "Connections". Basically, what you do, is pick anything of interest to do your project on, but you have to connect it to two different school subjects, and then write a big report. When all is finished, we display them all around the school. There have been projects ranging from sewing, creating musical pieces, photography, making potatoe cannons, restoring cars, you name it.
As you can probably guess, I want to do one on horseback riding.
So far, I have an idea of making a video of me riding, and going through the things I typically would in a working ride. I was hoping to do something based on the physical abilities and energy it takes to ride a horse, to prove to the non-horsey folk that it is more than just sitting in the saddle and letting your horse do all the work. I would wear a heart rate monitor, check it before I ride, and at different intervals during the ride, and, because I am diabetic, I would take my blood sugar before my ride and after, to see how much it lowers, etc. I figure I will have to add onto this project with, say, a little side project on different horse sports, or the muscles you use when you ride...etc. What do you think of this idea? How could I add to it/modify it,
or, do you have any other ideas? Thank you!

jenainy 10-22-2011 10:05 AM

anyone?

Iseul 10-22-2011 10:12 AM

I think it's a great idea. :D
I wish I would've been more into riding horses for my 8th grade project than into bmx and rollarblading so I could've done this xD
Posted via Mobile Device

flytobecat 10-22-2011 10:21 AM

In you avatar you are jumping so maybe you could tie it in to physics and talk about momentum to get over jumps of a different heights, how the weight is distributed before and after, balance and counter balance, different things -
Its been a long time since I was in school, so I can't remember a lot.
A friend's daughter's project this year is "training their unbroke 4 year QH". She is basically documenting their progress and the different steps in his training, then creating a report based on the information.

Ray MacDonald 10-22-2011 10:39 AM

That sounds like a good project jenainy! And good ideas Fly :)

jenainy 10-22-2011 12:15 PM

Thanks guys!
Fly- good idea! Actually, a couple years ago I was looking at everyones project and came up with an idea like your friend's daughter; my plan was to do a project based on training my pony to jump because she would be six and old enough and hopefully experienced enough. But I have since sold her and my cutter horse is a been-there-done-that kind of guy. But yeah, doing something with the physics of jumping would be cool!
:)
Posted via Mobile Device

jenainy 10-22-2011 01:20 PM

*Not supposed to say cutter horse, but new horse. Strange...typing on iPods can be interesting sometimes.

VT Trail Trotters 10-22-2011 05:37 PM

Love the idea, not to many kids horseback ride i think. And man is it rare for guys, to ride. I am a guy and the only at the barn.

jenainy 10-23-2011 02:11 PM

Thanks!!
Yeah, I know, besides the rodeo world there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of guy riders! Especially if you look at the young kids, like theres quite a few guy riders at the pro level and whatnot but you don't really see alot of teens, for example.
Posted via Mobile Device