The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Young nervous Rider looking for Help :L (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/young-nervous-rider-looking-help-l-101152/)

Short Stack Babe 10-21-2011 11:29 PM

Young nervous Rider looking for Help :L

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of an issue, I have two horses one of which I do everything with but being 25 now, she isn't keeping weight on and I need to begin to ride this other horse. I have alot of confidence on my mare but after a series of bad falls I am very nervous on a new horse, especially when I have no one to come out and ride with me.

The other horse (Bart) is a 15hh ex-riding school horse, so he does everything that I wish to do including jumping and mustering; however he will not go out on his own, he becomes to attached to my other horse and I can handle him until he continually backs up/bolts/rears/etc. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I could do to get him out on his own so I can ride him instead of buying a new horse? He is perfect to lead, on the ground, float and ride with another horse, it is just on his own that we have issues

Any suggestions are welcome, please help (:

Tay.

P.S. Also if anyone knows any ways I can keep weight on my old mare would also be appreicated, I'm going to start to slowly bring her out of work for retirement ):

bubba13 10-21-2011 11:46 PM

Get your mare's teeth floated, put her on a senior feed, have the vet out to do blood work and a physical, and ask for his specific instructions on tailoring a nutrition program for her needs.

As for the gelding, I could tell you how I deal with this issue...but as you are nervous and unconfident, I think you would do far better to hire a trainer to come out to your place for a few sessions and work both you and your horse through the issue. It is certainly a fixable problem, but it is going to take some work.

SocietyJoe 10-22-2011 01:45 AM

It is natural to feel nervous when riding, especially when your horse is being silly and your both on your own.

I bet he is feeling just like you, when your on your own, he is going into the unknown with out his friends and he gets scared. You say he is perfect to lead, so maybe insted of riding him out, try leading him so he gets used to his surroundings, and show him that he can do it without his friends.

Some horses show separation anxiety more than others. You could try separating your two horses for shorter lengths and then make the length of time they are apart longer and see if that helps.

Just remember to keep calm on the trails, sing a song and take deep breaths.
(:

SorrelHorse 10-22-2011 02:26 AM

Get after him.

I know when confidence comes into play it creates a problem, I've experienced it to, but there comes a point where herd boundness becomes dangerous. If he is just doing it to be a brat, get a crop and smack him hard on the butt.

If there is some alternativ reason, then we'll need some more info.