The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Gaining weight? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/gaining-weight-101170/)

PaintLover17 10-22-2011 02:10 AM

Gaining weight?

Ever since I bought Amber a year ago and started riding more I've lost quite a bit of weight. I was happy at first, but now I'm underweight. I'm 5'6 and about 110-115 lbs. Apparently that puts my BMI at around 18.0 and anything under 18.5 is underweight. I eat quite a bit but I can't seem to put any weight on! Actually I've been losing weight still. So besides becoming a couch potato and constantly eating, does anyone know some good, healthy ways to put some weight on?
Oh and I've been drinking Ensure occasionally but apparently I'm kinda lactose intolerant so I can't drink too much of it. =/
Posted via Mobile Device

The Copper Kid 10-22-2011 02:54 AM

Since you are somewhat lactose intolerant it is kind of hard to say because all I can think of would be add a protein shake somewhere into your day on top of your normal daily eating habits... They may be gross but I've learned to work around that and just put the powder in my milk and cereal. But I'm sure you could find something similar your body would let you have. Maybe look up what body builders use in their diets? That is kinda all I've got. lol Sorry hope it helps somewhat.

WickedNag 10-22-2011 09:04 AM

My daughter's bmi is at 15.5 and her doctors are not worried about her. She is 5'1 and 82 lbs. She is just toothpick skinny :)

Saddlebag 10-22-2011 09:42 PM

There are inexpensive Lactaid tablets you can buy. Try 3 before drinking boost. I also buy Lactaid milk-they've already added it. If you buy skim or 1% it actually tastes creamier than regular skim or 1% and it has a longer shelf life.

Saddlebag 10-22-2011 09:46 PM

sorry double post

Walkamile 11-01-2011 10:45 PM

Oh dear! Paintlover, when I read the title, my first response was "yes, I'm also gaining weight!" :oops:

I wish I could offer some suggestions to help you gain in a healthy way, but all I know is how to try and lose weight , and lately that hasn't been working too well for me! Deep sigh.....:-(

Perhaps you can do the opposite of what I'm doing. I eat healthy meals but practice portion control. Maybe you can eat healthy meals, but just eat more or it. That's all I've got. Sorry.

jinxremoving 11-02-2011 04:34 PM

I'm also on a never ending quest to gain weight. I can eat anything, up to and including an entire large pizza in one sitting, and never gain any weight. My blood work has come back fine ... the doctor just says some people have a higher than normal metabolism but that doesn't help me! I've tried the protein shakes and they seem to upset my stomach. :(

What bugs me is that I know there are a lot of people who wish they could eat whatever and never gain any weight, but there is also a sizable amount of people who struggle to gain weight...

Walkamile 11-02-2011 05:09 PM

Very true Jinxremoving. My husbands entire family can eat anything, and do, and never gain weight. They are also all over 6' tall. I am 5'5" and when standing next to any of them look like a basset hound next to great danes! :shock:

One of my very dear friends has always been very thin, and was called beanpole growing up. It wasn't until she turned 60, that her metabolism started to slow, and now she is "careful" about how much she eats.

I suppose both ends of the weight spectrum can be frustrating, me being at the hard to lose, you on the hard to gain.

I guess as long as we are all healthy, which is what's really important, the rest is just aesthetics.

Perhaps eating lots of carbs, such as pasta would help put some weight on. I know I have to limit myself to very little of these foods to even lose a pound.

PaintLover17 11-05-2011 07:21 PM

Thanks for all the suggestion! Jinxremoving, that's exactly how I am =/. It can be quite frustrating.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 11-05-2011 07:30 PM

If you're losing weight, means you are burning more calories than you are taking in, it's that simple. So what you are eating is not sufficient enough to sustain your body. Reserve is true for gaining weight. I would recommend you going to see a doctor who can refer you to a nutritionist, only healthy safe way.