The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Thoughts on this heated water bucket please :-) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/thoughts-heated-water-bucket-please-101242/)

lancek 10-23-2011 02:33 AM

Thoughts on this heated water bucket please :-)

I'd like to get a couple of these for winter to hang in Benny's stall.
Does anyone use this brand? I like the fact all the electrical components are sealed under the bucket and not IN the bucket..

API 20FB Heated Flatback Bucket, 5 gal. - 2409323 | Tractor Supply Company

raisinandelana 10-23-2011 02:40 AM

Meh. You just made me realise that winter is coming.... haha
I like it. I have to go spend 75 bucks on a HUGE one for my pasture. And who knows how I'm going to get electric to it :-O

MySerenity 10-23-2011 11:21 AM

I bought that same one at TSC last year for my minis. I am very pleased with it. The cord is surrounded by metal coil and they didn't mess with it at all. We had some wicked cold stretches last winter and they never went without water. I'll be using it again this year. I think it's a good buy.

BarrelWannabe 10-23-2011 11:53 AM

I'm looking at the exact same thing!
Its gonna be so wonderful having warm water for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiviknon 10-23-2011 05:18 PM

I'm not sure how this would work, as horses I believe can smell water. So if there is any kind of weird smell they may not drink.

Jumpehunter 10-23-2011 05:43 PM

Heated water buckets I love them. Before my barn got them i had to add- breaking ice out of buckets- to my morning chore list. And i would have to go around and take a sledge hammer to the paddock tubs. arg they made life so much easier enjoy :D :lol:

MySerenity 10-23-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure how this would work, as horses I believe can smell water. So if there is any kind of weird smell they may not drink.
What makes you think this would make the water smell weird?

Kiviknon 10-23-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySerenity (Post 1209595)
What makes you think this would make the water smell weird?

If you used let's say copper tubing to keep the water from freezing it would add a copper taste. It depends on how it works.

anrz 10-23-2011 10:14 PM

Not sure if we use the same brand, but our heated water buckets have the cord stored in the bottom and they're really nice! The cords are a bit of a hassle sometimes, but they seem to work well (even in Wisconsin winters) and are durable.

lancek 10-24-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiviknon (Post 1209599)
If you used let's say copper tubing to keep the water from freezing it would add a copper taste. It depends on how it works.

This model has the heating element and plug in chord outside of the bucket, mounted to the bottom. When you look (IN) the bucket there is nothing there but the bottom. That is the main reason I like this style, it would appear to remove any risk of electrical shock from a failing element or bad cord in the water.
We are getting two of them. Since we board and only go out once a day, we will fill both each evening. He will also have access to a big 100 gallon tank, but it will require the ice to be broke each day, which our boarder will do. I like the added (warm) water each day. Hoping it will cut down on any chances of colic.