The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How much would a Tipperary vest help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-much-would-tipperary-vest-help-101272/)

Equestrian09 10-23-2011 03:51 PM

How much would a Tipperary vest help?

Hi everyone!

Protective vest questions...

I ride alone and mostly on high spook potential, narrow, no room for error ditch bank trails. I have to ride down a loud, active road to get to the ditch banks with charging pitbulls running the fence line, sheep, sprinklers, pinwheels! (seriously, a front yard full of them) and some abandoned buildings.

My ArabPaint cross is young and spooky and very reactive. I usually use my western saddle on the trail and while I was always a 'wind in your hair' kinda rider, I now wear my helmet, boots, half chaps, breeches and carry a charged cellphone.

Do you wear protective vests on the trail?

How much do they help if you fall?

Which brands/styles are the best protection with least interfence with our ride?

If you have bought one, how often do you really wear it?

(I am looking at the tipperary sportage)

Feedback please and thanks in advance!

Joe4d 10-23-2011 05:38 PM

as I am sitting here with a couple broke ribs from crash and burning at a full gallop, I sure think one woulda been nice,

Equestrian09 10-23-2011 10:25 PM

Wow, so sorry to hear that! A vest may have helped protect your ribs, I'd imagine. Guess that answers my question - some protection is going to be better than none.

Hope you feel better soon.

JumpingBean 10-24-2011 12:01 AM

I have a Tipperary protective vest and wear it every time I ride; even out on the trail. I highly recommend it, because it has been a very beneficial investment for me. Hope this helps!!

Equestrian09 10-24-2011 09:34 AM

Do you have the one that is longer in the back to protect tail bone or the 'lite' version?
If you have the one that is longer in the back, do you think it would hit up against the cantle of my western or back of deeper style seat of a dressage saddle?

Thanks for your help!

JumpingBean 10-25-2011 07:20 PM

I have the Tipperary Ride Lite. I got that one to ensure I'd be able to use it in my barrel saddle. My main concern was protecting my ribs. I would have liked the tail bone protection; but then again, some protection is better than none ;)