The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Mare needs calming supplemets-what kind? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/mare-needs-calming-supplemets-what-kind-101332/)

myQHpaul 10-24-2011 05:31 AM

Mare needs calming supplemets-what kind?

I know there are a lot of supplements for a mare that will help sooth her attitude and high strungness but I thought I would post a thread to see what anyone else has tried and what's worked and what hasn't. I absolutely love my horse but can't handle her mood swings. She is a typical mare :) She was on moody mare when I first bought her but that wasn't working. Thanks so much for your help.

Joe4d 10-24-2011 01:29 PM

lead line ground training, not drugs.

2SCHorses 10-28-2011 08:44 AM

What are you feeding? Many hotness issues can be resolved balancing feed before adding a calming suppliment. Grain like oats, corn or sweet feed can really contribute to hotness especially if your horse is only moderately exercised. Also switching to grass only hay instead of legume mix can help, too. If all that is balanced and you have a good exercise routine, and your horse is still hot, you can try some calming supplements. Every horse reacts differently so you may have to try a few. We use Quietex for our mare when trailering because she gets a little motion sick and nervous. It helps her have a smoother trip and less diarrhea.
Posted via Mobile Device

spookychick13 10-28-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1210298)
lead line ground training, not drugs.

Hugs, not drugs! j/k

Seriously though, check out SmartPak, there is a ton of reviews on products for moody mares.

I don't have a mare, or else I could help more. I have heard wonderous things about Mare Magic, but it is likely the same ingredient as Moody Mare.

Mare Magic is raspberry leaf.

sadstory1 10-28-2011 05:34 PM

try something with magnesium in it and mix in a probiotic. Im not sure where you are based and only know UK brands. but try a magnesium supplement and the probiotic because recent research in the UK showed that high strung horses and horses who weave and crib have a different balance of acid in the gut which causes them to be highly strung. my colt cribbed and was a fruit loop with the magnesium in his diet and a probiotic everyday he is as good as gold now and never ever cribs.

TwistedWire 10-31-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SCHorses (Post 1214532)
What are you feeding? Many hotness issues can be resolved balancing feed before adding a calming suppliment. Grain like oats, corn or sweet feed can really contribute to hotness especially if your horse is only moderately exercised. Also switching to grass only hay instead of legume mix can help, too. If all that is balanced and you have a good exercise routine, and your horse is still hot, you can try some calming supplements. Every horse reacts differently so you may have to try a few. We use Quietex for our mare when trailering because she gets a little motion sick and nervous. It helps her have a smoother trip and less diarrhea.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agree.

However, if you have a mare that gets nutto despite a balanced diet, I've used Quiessence with AWESOME results, and have also used RelaxHer and Levelor. I didn't use RelaxHer long enough to see a difference, as Levelor was on sale and I used it the rest of the season.

My mare had an ovarian cyst this spring, and after veterinary treatment I kept her on Levelor...and she was great all season.

equiniphile 10-31-2011 08:06 PM

I swear by B-1. It does NOT change the overall demeanor and temperament of the horse, but it definitely takes the edge off in times of stress or edginess. I gave it to my Paint Clydesdale daily to help calm him down and it worked very well. I've also used Mare Magic, but I prefer the B-1.

Saddlebag 10-31-2011 08:18 PM

Many horse problems are cause by overfeeding, in that the horse displays unwanted energy because it has nowhere to burn it off. A horse will do fine on a grass hay if it's ridden only two or three times weekly for 3 or 4 hours. The grain based feeds need to be added only when the horse either begins to lose weight or seems tired on a regular basis. The horse's gut is designed primarily for long fiber, not all the grains people are inclined to dump in to them. There is too much worry about feeding a "balanced diet" and wanting to feed the best, but best isn't always what's best for the horse.