The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Hay Nets, opinions, etc. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/hay-nets-opinions-etc-101362/)

spookychick13 10-24-2011 12:52 PM

Hay Nets, opinions, etc.

Hiya,

Thinking about getting a hay net for my Hoover...I mean...horse.

Do you use one? Do you like it?
How does your horse do with it?

My guy eats really fast...he's a piggy.

Thanks in advance.

Idlepastures 10-24-2011 02:35 PM

I put both of my hay burners on a hay bag. Regular nylon one. Slowed them down just a little bit. But honestly, not noticeably enough to say its better. If anything, one wasn't phased, the other didn't seem to like it.

The Copper Kid 10-24-2011 05:39 PM

A friend of mine had a horse that was a hoover too!! He used the hay net for a while and it slowed her down a lot, but moved back to feeding on the ground, the slower pace seemed to stick with her. I wouldn't use it for any other reason besides trying to fix the hoover problem though... Call me natural but I believe that since they are grazing animals they should graze.

bubba13 10-24-2011 06:00 PM

What about a Nibble Net? Pricey, but sturdy and safer than a regular hay net.

Tianimalz 10-24-2011 06:08 PM

I am putting my mare on one for winter, we ride less and there isn't any graze so she tends to get bored quicker. Started using it a few days ago, a nylon one with smaller elastic holes so she has to work to get at it. It works really well! I love it and kept her busy eating her hay meal for a good three hours, three times longer than usual.

I have a feeling that she'll find some way to break it open eventually... kinda quirky like that. But from limited personal experience- I'd say hay nets are one of my favorite inventions. :lol:

littrella 10-24-2011 06:19 PM

I had a really bad experience with hay nets. This spring, Jack got his front feet intangled in his hay net & in his fight to free himself, went down & got wedged under his fence. He layed there all night in sleat & almost freezing temps till I found him at 5:30am. We almost lost him to hyperthermia. Bad way to learn a lesson. I personally will never use them again. He now has a very secured metal hay rack

spookychick13 10-24-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1210573)
What about a Nibble Net? Pricey, but sturdy and safer than a regular hay net.

Aha! I actually went with Busy Horse, which is about the same.

This one:
http://www.busyhorse.com/busygrandeslow.html

Tianimalz 10-24-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookychick13 (Post 1210591)
Aha! I actually went with Busy Horse, which is about the same.

This one:
BusyHorse.com: Horse Toy, Hay Bag and Feed Bag for your Busy Horse

Just looked there, they look REALLY nice... but kinda pricey for my ramen noodle budget. :lol: Do look much preferable though.

MyBoyPuck 10-24-2011 06:40 PM

My horse eats hay like he's angry at it. He destroys the "regular" ones. I'm going to get the type that is all cloth with a big hole in the middle. I guess you just put the hay in through the top opening and they eat it through the hole. I saw some in the Valley Vet catalog.

bubba13 10-24-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1210622)
My horse eats hay like he's angry at it. He destroys the "regular" ones. I'm going to get the type that is all cloth with a big hole in the middle. I guess you just put the hay in through the top opening and they eat it through the hole. I saw some in the Valley Vet catalog.

Word of caution with this kind. I thought it was safer than the hay net, so got some and put them out in the drylot, hanging fairly high. My mom's gelding pawed it, got his hoof through the hole, and then ripped straight through the back so his hoof was totally caught and he couldn't pull it back out. Luckily he just stood there until I was able to rescue him, but that could have ended very badly....