The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   What to charge for walking colicky horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/what-charge-walking-colicky-horse-101370/)

starlinestables 10-24-2011 01:35 PM

What to charge for walking colicky horse?

I recently had a horse get tangled in my fence. He broke a plastic fence insulator (our top wire is electric) and it sliced his leg open pretty good and needed stitches. The next day he colicked. His owner lives 40 minutes away so I was the walker (And before you say anything about him not needing to be walked.. he would lay down and roll if not walking so it was a must).

I walked him for approximately an hour until he was comfortable. I'm trying to get an idea of what to charge. Does $40 sound fair? (seeing that's what it cost me when I had to cancel a lesson).

Thanks for your help guys! :D

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-24-2011 01:38 PM

That's a toughie. In emergecy situations I don't charge for my help, so would not charge for the walking. I would just have postponed the lesson, so wouldn't have lost the income. If the owner refused to come out (but driving 40 mins is getting there as fast as she can) I might charge but I've never had that situation. Now, I do charge for the routine meds and bandage changes, but I've never charged in an emergency, I kind of feel it goes with the territory as barn owner.

AlexS 10-24-2011 01:56 PM

I'd be a little miffed if I had to pay for that. I'd expect a barn owner to do it until I could get there, unless it was for hours and hours.

Once the horse owner got there did you hang around and help?

starlinestables 10-24-2011 02:00 PM

I rescheduled the lesson for the following day but it rained (and indoor isn't rideable yet).

I don't charge for emergencies until after 8pm (like holding for the vet). For colic walking, luckily this is only my second one in the 3 years of being open. The first 1 died (lipoma) so I didn't charge. I did call her, she said she had class but would come out if she needed to but this was before I knew how bad it was. I gave him banamine and started walking. When I was walking him, I would stop for whatever reason and he would try to go down so I figured I better tell her to come out to improve my karma chances (if I don't call he's gonna die on me, if I do he'll be fine type of thing). She made it out when I was done walking him and he could stand with out wanting to go down.

starlinestables 10-24-2011 02:06 PM

AlexS, She got there when I was done and he was better. However, if he was still sick, I would definitely stick around. I would just hand her the rope and go work on something else until she needed me.. and just check in to see how the horse was doing.

To clarify further: the impression I got from the phone call was "walk him, call me if it's really bad"...

Just curious, in case of future colic: If a horse colics at 3 pm, and an owner doesn't get off til 5pm and says she'll be there after work. Do you think they should be charged?

Delfina 10-24-2011 02:16 PM

Hmmm... I don't know.

I wasn't charged at all when my horse coliced. He was hand-walked until I got there and took over (probably about 30 - 40mins?), she stayed with me, assisted the Vet (Vet wanted to know every last detail about his day, the hay she was feeding him etc....), stripped and double-bedded his stall as he was given a pretty hefty sedative so the Vet could tube him and then checked on him every 2 hours for the rest of the night, after I left.

Since you did cancel a lesson, I'd ask the boarder if she feels the $40 lesson fee would be fair.

starlinestables 10-24-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1210286)
Hmmm... I don't know.

I wasn't charged at all when my horse coliced. He was hand-walked until I got there and took over (probably about 30 - 40mins?), she stayed with me, assisted the Vet (Vet wanted to know every last detail about his day, the hay she was feeding him etc....), stripped and double-bedded his stall as he was given a pretty hefty sedative so the Vet could tube him and then checked on him every 2 hours for the rest of the night, after I left.

Since you did cancel a lesson, I'd ask the boarder if she feels the $40 lesson fee would be fair.

Delfina- wow consider yourself very lucky to have such an awesome BO. If I still lived at the barn, I would check before I went to bed but I wouldn't get up every two hours. I consider that to be the owners responsibility. When I was a boarder, my horse colicked while I was at work. I left work immediately(I was a starving college student too), drove 90 mph to the barn and stayed the night in her stall.

MIEventer 10-24-2011 02:29 PM

I don't think there should be a charge - period. Glad I don't board at your barn.

starlinestables 10-24-2011 02:45 PM

Sorry you feel that way MIE... unfortunately unlike most barn owners, I wasn't born into it. I wasn't given our families land.. my barn and pipe fencing wern't built in the 80's when they were giving away drill stem pipe and metal was $.04 a foot. We have more start up debt than you can shake a stick at. My husband and I built our entire facility ourselves and still work 7 days a week to continue to pay our bills and improve our facility. I'm too embarrassed to say what I make off boarding horses as it's next to nothing and rely (like 90% of horse boarding facilities) on lesson income to make ends meet. I'm sorry if that makes me a horrible barn owner.. and I'm not saying that to be facetious, just to let yall know where I'm coming from.

starlinestables 10-24-2011 03:08 PM

I was talking to another horse friend of mine and she had a good point. People pay me $50 an hour to yell(nicely lol)at them to put their heels down.. but $40 (boarders get a discounted rate) to literally drag a 1000lb sick animal around the arena so they don't die is out of the question! It is kind of funny.

Keep those suggestions coming though. I value your opinions even if I disagree.