The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   So what did you learn this season? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/so-what-did-you-learn-season-101395/)

MyBoyPuck 10-24-2011 05:07 PM

So what did you learn this season?

So now that the show season is over, at least in the northern hemisphere, I was curious to see what others accomplished and learned over the past show season.

For me, in our first season of eventing elementary level, the good parts were finding that my horse is seriously on board with eventing. He's become very honest to fences (assuming I'm actively riding), is very calm and all business at shows. I've learn to really hug him with my legs over fences, stay out of his mouth, unlock my elbows and provide him a nice release. In dressage, I've found the comments about uneven contact slowly disappearing, and my scores, while still lack-luster, 6's & 7's, are at least now consistent. Oh yeah. Apparently I accidentally jumped a 2'6" oxer during warmup, so I guess 2'3" isn't my max after all!

What I learned and still need to fix are, apparently my horse has a sense of humor about jumping. As soon as I stop riding or get him crooked to a fence, I get the horsey finger. Yesterday I was dropped from 4th to 8th when he ran out at a freakin' log on the ground!! The thing was 20' long, and I still managed to loose focus enough to let him run out. I also plan on putting much effort into my position over the winter. I think I will take advantage of no stirrups November to see how much I can improve my seat.

So what did you learn or accomplish this season?

VelvetsAB 10-24-2011 06:49 PM

I learned that I *can* make my stridings in my (hunter) courses, as long as I hunt for the fence. Took until yesterday, but we FINALLY had all of our striding AND all of our leads. There is one more schooling show to go, and the goal for it is to hit striding and leads each of the three classes.

So, maybe going off course that first class of three worked out...?

eventerdrew 10-24-2011 07:47 PM

I learned to ride my distances better (still working on perfection) and that i CAN handle my horse when she's being a nutball in the warm up. I also learned that I don't necessarily need my coach at every event, though she is very helpful but sometimes it stresses me out. I learned that my horse is very talented and she's an amazing XC machine.

Doing 11 USEA horse trials this year did a lot for Demi and I!

MyBoyPuck 10-24-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerdrew (Post 1210764)
I also learned that I don't necessarily need my coach at every event, though she is very helpful but sometimes it stresses me out.

Funny you said that. Just yesterday, while warming up for dressage, I was thinking I'd probably go nuts if someone was standing there practically doing a lesson while I was getting ready. I never get coached at shows. I like to be left alone with my horse.

Strange 10-24-2011 08:01 PM

Oh man, what didn't I learn this year?

I went from competing novice to competing preliminary (jumped around my first prelim event yesterday and finished 6th!) and schooling some intermediate in less than 10 months. I've learned how to be a more sophisticated rider in general and learned so many little things that have improved my riding immensely. I've learned how to ride the miniscule shoulder-fore throughout every movement on the flat to help keep the horse supple and up to my outside rein. I've learned how to see a distance to a jump (would you believe I had no idea you could actually do that until this year?) and ride more accurately. I've learned...way too much to ever list.

MyBoyPuck 10-24-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange (Post 1210777)
Oh man, what didn't I learn this year?

I went from competing novice to competing preliminary (jumped around my first prelim event yesterday and finished 6th!) and schooling some intermediate in less than 10 months. I've learned how to be a more sophisticated rider in general and learned so many little things that have improved my riding immensely. I've learned how to ride the miniscule shoulder-fore throughout every movement on the flat to help keep the horse supple and up to my outside rein. I've learned how to see a distance to a jump (would you believe I had no idea you could actually do that until this year?) and ride more accurately. I've learned...way too much to ever list.

**** woman. How did you accomplish all that in one season? That's fantastic. Love the bit about riding a slight shoulder-fore. I use that one too!

MudPaint 10-24-2011 09:21 PM

Hah... this season.

Lesson of the lifetime, jumping is mostly dressage with some airtime. With better balance we went from awkwardly jumping 2'6" to easily jumping 3'6" and somewhere figured out flying changes (I'm still trying to figure out when he figured that one out). And I refound my eye for distances. I'm still learning to use it, but at least I found it and now nail 85% of the distances.

On a whole we're just so much more confident. I am starting to trust Primo's judgement and become ok with not such a close spot.

If I want it bad enough, we can stay in the dressage arena! And I don't get comments about being a Hunter rider on my tests anymore.

I can't wait to move up to Novice in the spring!

Strange 10-24-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1210795)
**** woman. How did you accomplish all that in one season? That's fantastic. Love the bit about riding a slight shoulder-fore. I use that one too!

Excellent coach and a horse that's been there/done that. xD