The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   what should i register my horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-should-i-register-my-horse-101410/)

lifeisinhorses 10-24-2011 07:47 PM

what should i register my horse?

Hi, what can i register my Thoroughbred/percheron mare as/to?

WickedNag 10-24-2011 08:35 PM

I would not think she could be registered...but who knows there are a lot of registries out there these days.

Tianimalz 10-24-2011 08:36 PM

I wasn't aware you could register a horse like that... google it, might give you something to go on I suppose. LOL

trailhorserider 10-24-2011 11:50 PM

I would guess there is a warmblood registry that might take her. But that is just a guess. If you want it bad enough, almost any horse can be registered. The problem is, is it a legitimate registry? But I would think a TB/Percheron would be considered some type of warmblood.

I think it sounds like a lovely cross. :-)

Kayty 10-25-2011 12:29 AM

A Tb x perch is not a warmblood - I am not sure however of the registries available in the US, you would be best to speak directly to various registrations. Although a Tb x perch is not technically a warmblood, which have been bred to very strict guidlines over hundreds of years through Europe, I have heard that the US warmblood registration is quite lenient on what they allow into the registry, so you may want to begin by contacting them.

DraftyAiresMum 10-25-2011 01:24 AM

I'd be willing to bet she could be registered as a sport horse.

Just curious, but why do you want her registered in the first place?

Kiviknon 10-25-2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1211087)
A Tb x perch is not a warmblood - I am not sure however of the registries available in the US, you would be best to speak directly to various registrations. Although a Tb x perch is not technically a warmblood, which have been bred to very strict guidlines over hundreds of years through Europe, I have heard that the US warmblood registration is quite lenient on what they allow into the registry, so you may want to begin by contacting them.

Wait, you mean to tell me if you combined a hot blood and a cold blood you won't get a warmblood? I wonder where they all came from...
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayty 10-25-2011 07:25 AM

Oh dear, don't get me started on the warmblood debate.

Ok, YES, originally, warmbloods WERE derived from hot bloods crossed with cold bloods. HOWEVER, they have now been bred into specific breed registries - i.e. hanoverians and holsteins. Warmbloods are now as specific a breed as say the hot bloods - thoroughbreds, arabs.

But you would be very misled to believe that a cold blood x hot blood could be registered as a warmblood. A WB sport horse maybe, but not a genuine warmblood registry such as the hanoverian stud book.
If any old cold blood x hot blood could be registered as a hano or similar, the Europeans must be wasting their time with such stringent breeding regulations, and I must also have wasted a hell of a lot of money on buying my hano yearling.

Red Gate Farm 10-25-2011 08:43 AM

Check this registry out (American Warmblood Society)
Warmbloods | Sport Horses | Dressage Horses

All AWS sport horses/ponies will be evaluated on their own qualities and/or performance records. Hot-bloods, cold-bloods, warmbloods and all crosses are eligible, previously registered or non-registered as long as the horse/pony is breeding for, training for, or participating in one of the four disciplines that the AWS supports (Dressage, Eventing, Jumping or Combined Driving).

Kiviknon 10-25-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1211225)
Oh dear, don't get me started on the warmblood debate.

Ok, YES, originally, warmbloods WERE derived from hot bloods crossed with cold bloods. HOWEVER, they have now been bred into specific breed registries - i.e. hanoverians and holsteins. Warmbloods are now as specific a breed as say the hot bloods - thoroughbreds, arabs.

But you would be very misled to believe that a cold blood x hot blood could be registered as a warmblood. A WB sport horse maybe, but not a genuine warmblood registry such as the hanoverian stud book.
If any old cold blood x hot blood could be registered as a hano or similar, the Europeans must be wasting their time with such stringent breeding regulations, and I must also have wasted a hell of a lot of money on buying my hano yearling.

I really hope you bought for the bloodlines, not because it was hanoverian.