The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Do I worry too much? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/do-i-worry-too-much-101471/)

BarrelWannabe 10-25-2011 11:38 AM

Do I worry too much?

I'm new to owning horses. I've had mine for close to a year, and I worry about EVERYTHING! I worry how long he's been in his stall, his feet smell funny, is he getting thrush?
His belly is bloating, is he gonna colic?
I'm feeding him too much.
I'm not feeding him enough.
He isn't drinking enough water.
His coat looks dull.
How'd he get that cut, it is going to get infected?
Is he limping?
The list goes on and on!

Do I worry too much? I know my horse isn't stupid but after all he is a horse and he will get hurt eventually. I just want to have fun with my horse, not worry so much. Is it just me being worrisome?

kitten_Val 10-25-2011 12:55 PM

Yeah, that sounds quite intense. I mean I do worry too. I was one heck of worry when my horse had issues walking after the trim (started thread here), but in the end you can't predict the future. Just do your best to keep it healthy (like picking/cleaning hoofs to avoid thrush so they won't smell etc...). :D

Saddlebag 10-25-2011 07:21 PM

I'll bet all that worrying prevents you from really enjoying your horse. Try to be concerned about what really matters, not all the hypothetical "what if's".

BarrelWannabe 10-25-2011 10:40 PM

It does. I think I worry because I don't know how to fix it if something goes wrong.

I really shouldn't stress over my stress reliver.
I'm not nearly as worrisome as I was.
I've noticed in our daily ride that he's lightened up along with me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-26-2011 12:18 AM

An old trainer of mine gave me the best horse advice I've ever gotten. I used to soooo anal about my horses it wasn't even funny. She said, "Relax a little. If I've learned nothing in 30 plus years with horses, I have learned one little thing. You can wrap them in cotton batting to protect them from bumps, bruises and cuts. You can put them in a padded stall to keep them from getting cast. And you know what? The **** things will just eat the padding, colic and die anyhow!".

You know what? She was right! Lighten up a little, let the horse tell you when something is wrong and it's something to worry about. I've found they really do communicate very well.

Saskia 10-26-2011 04:09 AM

Yeah you worry too much. If its any consolation most people do, regardless of what it is about.

But think, your life must be pretty good if all you have to worry about is your horse.

He's a horse, they are pretty solid things, they have been living in the wild for hundreds of years. People go on about how sensitive they are too feed and I guess they are to an extent, but not really to the extent that people make them out to be. If you be sensible then things are generally okay.

Just chill out, be smart about things when they arise, but don't worry now.

I'm sort of a "serial stresser" where I always find something to stress about, but I have gotten a bit better. The best thing for me is putting things in perspective, and it jolts me out of it and I see how ridiculous my state of mind is. Why stress about having to move out early and have nowhere to live if I can afford accommodation? Many people out there can't and they are perfectly fine. Why stress about schoolwork? Just do it, worse case scenario I fail and even that is not that bad.

Things aren't really as bad as we think.

Jessabel 10-26-2011 09:46 AM

I hear ya! :wink: I've had horses for six years and I'm still paranoid. The little stinkers manage to get into trouble no matter how careful you are. And I'm always worried that I'm not doing enough for them. Like if Victor looks a bit ribby one day, I get a little panicky.

It's better to be overprotective than to be the other extreme. I've seen far too many horses suffer with thoughtless owners.