The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Art Requests (http://www.horseforum.com/art-requests/)
-   -   Cover needed for book (http://www.horseforum.com/art-requests/cover-needed-book-101474/)

MNCOWGIRL 10-25-2011 11:50 AM

Cover needed for book

:DHey if there is anyone out there that would like to draw a running horse in a valley between mountains that would be great! I'm a romance writer and most of my books are western but I have no artistic talent but would love to have a great cover!

Creampuff 10-25-2011 04:40 PM

Rachel,

I hope you realize that this is not a "small job" that many (knowledgeable) artists will do for free. You will be selling this book, correct? This means, indirectly, you're also selling the artwork on the cover. This means the artist has to sign over
all rights of the artwork to you, or receive a percentage of the profit per copy sold.

Most artists would accept this, but as a commission. So, what's your budget? Listing this in your "ad" would prove beneficiary to professional artists who have "been there, done that" with book covers. Considering all of the copyright involvement, I wouldn't accept a free piece of artwork from anyone unless it was clear -- in writing -- that they're relinquishing all copyrights to you (artist doesn't get a cut, and you also have proof that they are allowing you to use the work). With the writing... make them sign it!! Don't accept an internet e-mail saying "ok, you can use this." If your book "explodes," they may get a little envious and sue you saying you're using their work without notice/payment. The "contract" you should have will say otherwise.

Regardless, I may be able to make some recommendations if you'd like. Just send me a message or e-mail (cmrule.1991@yahoo.com) with some more details and I'll get back to you ASAP with a list of artists I think would suit your needs. :)

~ Carrie

MNCOWGIRL 10-25-2011 04:59 PM

Thanks

:DHey thanks for the advice, obviously this is the first book I have done and have no idea on how these things work. I will deffinatley keep your advice in mind.