The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle Care (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-care-101476/)

nicole25 10-25-2011 01:14 PM

Saddle Care

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so I know we see thousands of threads on here about saddle care etc. I was hoping I could help get some answers though. I have a Pessoa saddle that is starting to loose its luster so to say. I condition it routinely as I love this saddle and want to take care of it. My concern is though that it looks like it is almost I guess you could say fading. I do not know if it needs to be re oiled or polished or what. I will try to show a picture so you guys can see what I am talking about. So basically I was wondering what can I do to bring my saddle back to life and look new and shiny or at least pretty again.

Thanks!

Edit:
I posted a photo. Not the greatest but it will give you an idea for the color of my saddle.

SaddleOnline 10-25-2011 03:54 PM

I hate to tell you this, but time and use typically take the new and shiny out of a leather saddle - especially a high quality one which is designed to break in with use. You really don't want your saddle to appear high-gloss in most occasions.

But, if you just really like the look of a shiny saddle, use glycerin soap to clean it and apply a wax-based leather polish to it.

Also, make sure you are storing it in a saddle bag or with a cover that protects it from the elements and sun - which can fade leather even if its just coming through the window.

Courtney 10-25-2011 04:03 PM

Leather CPR. I'm using this on a couple old saddles and it's kind of amazing how well it works. Both saddles were fairly dull and dingy, but after a few applications, they look a lot better. Not shiny new, but they look well cared for. Scuff have faded, small tears in the seat are less noticeable... quite amazing, really.

Corporal 10-25-2011 04:42 PM

**Corporal munches popcorn** I'll Read ANY thread about tack care!!!
Make sure that your saddle cover breathes. If it's made of plastic any humidity can turn your leather green. yuch--not hard to clean off, but who has the extra time for THAT?!?!?

iridehorses 10-25-2011 04:46 PM

Clean then use a product like BlackRock. You don't want a shinny finish since that will end up being slippery.

Saddlebag 10-25-2011 07:18 PM

I use glycerin soap only on an english saddle and rarely use a conditioner. The tannage for english saddles is a little different than western and often just a cleaning will do. When the leather is dry I will take a soft old cotton teatowel and give it a good buff.

DejaVu 10-25-2011 09:43 PM

Have you tried Urad?

It gives your leather a new and refreshed look. It's more of a topical cosmetic aid, more than a cleaner, but it does a good job of restoring the look of your tack.

I quit using it, because it makes your leather kind of tacky, and I just prefer my leather more slick, but it did a good job.