The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Lighting an outdoor arena / round pen (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/lighting-outdoor-arena-round-pen-101501/)

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 10-25-2011 05:14 PM

Lighting an outdoor arena / round pen

Hello!
I live up here in Seattle where in the winter the sun rises at 8-9 AM and sets between 4:30-4:30. I have a 50' round pen, that I can also convert to a small 80' X 50' arena, and we're getting to that time of year where you can only work your horse on the weekends.

I would like to light my arena/round pen and would love suggestions on the most economical way I can reasonablly do it.

Because of the limited daylight, solar is out of the question, in addition because we're in Seattle and it's outdoor they need to be weather proof/resistant.

It's close to electical outlets and I'm considering landscaping lighting such as Malibu Lights | Malibu but short of buying a couple of construction lighting stands I'm not sure what I can do.

What have you done? How do you light your outdoor arena?

starlinestables 10-26-2011 01:00 AM

I've been through a lot of barn construction but I still know next to nothing about electricity. However, I suggest getting on the FarmTek website and IM one of their sales representatives that question. They have tons of different lighting options for farm use. Sorry I couldn't have been more help!

proequine 10-27-2011 12:22 PM

I've had 4 facilities, in 4 different states... Lighting depends on how you are to use your arena? There is a huge difference between a private barn for casual riding after dark, verses having a event for hunter/jumpers. (they hate shadows!)
I "assume" by your post that it is for your own use? 50' round pen extended to 80' for casual usage..
I would contact your local electric company, they have a "Night light- dusk to dawn" pole(s) that is a flat charge per month. They also do all of the construction and replacements of bulbs if needed. Drive around at night and you will be able to spot farms that have these to get an idea of how much lighting (poles) you want.
If you want the "network video playback lighting" Check-out football field lighting. Sometimes you can find city/school fields that are up-dating lighting and purchase used by contacting the contractors. They are halogen types and take a while to warm up, cost more, but you won't have shadows!

mls 10-27-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proequine (Post 1213509)
I would contact your local electric company, they have a "Night light- dusk to dawn" pole(s) that is a flat charge per month. They also do all of the construction and replacements of bulbs if needed.

This.

We have one on our round pen. Not perfect but it's great for loping when you'd rather be outside than in the indoor arena!

Red Gate Farm 10-27-2011 12:42 PM

We positioned our round pen to take advantage of the yard light. It automatically comes on at dusk and goes off at dawn so that's convenient.

A friend of mine put outdoor Christmas lights around her round pen for decoration, and liked them so much she kept them up for occassional winter riding in the pen. They provided a soft, low light that you can surprisingly see quite a bit in without the glare.

Joe4d 10-27-2011 02:51 PM

You need light for illumination not accent lights, Your are looking for over head halogen or sodium light fixtures, Lots of solar and wind options, but way cheaper to use electrical outlet sinceit is close at hand. Youcan power them off a cord if you are disciplined enough to unplug it and put up the cord when you are done. Extension cords are not made for longterm instalations. Wouldnt be that hard to install for soemone with basic electrical skills, Id do something like these on 20 foot poles.Standard High Pressure Sodium Area Light-OAL705120PER at The Home Depot

SaddleOnline 10-27-2011 08:13 PM

I'll second (or third, or fifth) the option of getting a light pole from your power company. If you want a little extra very low-budget illumination for just when you are riding, get a couple of outdoor lights and clip them on the edges of the ring, just remember to unplug them and put them away when you are done.

If you have money to blow, on the other hand - hire someone to come install lighting on posts around your ring.