The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bit Issue- Need advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bit-issue-need-advice-101511/)

Vogue24 10-25-2011 06:32 PM

Bit Issue- Need advice

Hey there,
So my horse is in a dutch gag happy mouth bit (soft plastic plated) and when I take her out on a hack she becomes really strong and throws her head up alot.

When I go into a canter I struggle to keep her back as I dont want to pull on her mouth too much; I know I could move the reigns down, but I think that would be unesessary.

If anyone has any type of bit they would suggest, please suggest it? :-)

Thankyou!

faye 10-25-2011 06:52 PM

You need a complete change of bit and a lot of reschooling.

The gag bit (including the dutch gag, puts pressure on the poll. This is a head raising action for a bit.

I personaly would take her back to a french link snaffle and take her back in the school to re-establish some form of schooling.

Also do you vary where you canter on rides or always canter in the same place? cantering in the same place every time leads to anticipation and a distinct lack of breaks. Also Try not to get into a race with other horses as once horses are racing each other you will struggle to pull them up.

kevinshorses 10-25-2011 06:58 PM

A better title would have been "Training problem- need advice". I don't mind gag bits and you can train a horse to break at the poll very nicely using one (I've never used a dutch gag). The thing about a horse that is too strong at the canter is that they will eventually slow down and it probably won't take more than 10 or 15 minutes. If it takes longer you have an exceptionally long winded horse. Lope until the horse slows then reward. Also work on rate at the trot. This is actually harder because horses can trot a long ways.

SaddleOnline 10-26-2011 04:11 PM

I'm chiming in, this isn't really a bitting problem and another bit is unlikely to fix it. Your mare is getting excited and ignoring you - and your bit.

You need to work on getting her to focus, when she starts getting too strong, ask her to circle, turn or otherwise focus on your commands. You need to capture her attention and make her pay attention to your cues.

Vogue24 10-27-2011 01:14 PM

I only called it a bit problem because she is fresh to me as I havent had her very long; The dutch gag is the one she came with, I was wondering wether this would still be appropriate for me now. Thankyou for your advice, im sorry if anyone misunderstood what I was trying to say, thanks anyway.