The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   I'm so jealous... (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/im-so-jealous-101534/)

QHriderKE 10-25-2011 10:40 PM

I'm so jealous...

I've been watching eventing videos, and if I ever went English... wow... Eventing would be #1 on my list. Even just cross country... wow...

I have a few questions:
What mindset do eventing horses normally have?
What kind of training programs are they on?
And is there any eventing or cross country shows anywhere near Saskatchewan!?

The other day we were chasing cows in the pasture, and I had to make a mad dash with my 3 year old for some reason... and we ended up having to jump a fallen tree, jump up a ridge, jump down a ridge and she even decided she should jump some brush...
It was amazingly fun!
I've been wanting to buy an all around english saddle for a while now...

Strange 10-25-2011 10:56 PM

What mindset do eventing horses normally have?
Depends on the horse, really. If you think about it, most upper level horses (prelim, intermediate, advanced) are Thoroughbreds. Fit Thoroughbreds can be quite sensitive and high strung at times. I know when Ace is fit he can definitely a handful when we're jumping. It's all about learning how to channel their energy in a productive way, which can be hard when you have a horse that gets tense in the dressage ring, or one that is spooky on cross country. Lower level horses are a mixed bag, since pretty much any breed/type of horse can compete at the lower levels. You have the calmer, steadier ones, and the more excitable ones. The most important thing, mentally, for an event horse, is just the will and heart to do it.

What kind of training programs are they on?
Again, it depends on the horse. For upper level horses, it varies from horse to horse. Generally the heavier horses (warmbloods, Irish Sport Horses, etc.) are on a 10 day schedule. That means they work nine days, then have a day off. If they're getting ready for a major three-day (*/**/***/****) they are doing at least an hour of hacking, 20 minutes or so of trotting out (over terrain, if available), + their 45 minutes-1 hour of work (whether it be flat or jumping). Then one day of those nine they'll do their canter sets. More Thoroughbredy horses that fit up more easily are generally on a 7 day schedule. I know one girl that doesn't even do canter sets often on her Thoroughbred, because he gets super fit just on a 6 day a week schedule with hacks, trot, and regular work.

Lower level horses, again depends on the horse. In my opinion, it's really important to do trot sets (at least once or twice a week) on even Beginner Novice horses. It just helps build cardiovascular health, muscle strength, and it gets them out of the arena. For training level horses (and even some novice level horses) I'd like to see them doing canter sets once a week or so. Training level horses should be doing three 5 minute sets (work up to it, don't start there), and novice horses doing three 4 minute sets (again, work up to it), plus their other rides during the week.

As for Saskatchewan, I can't help you much, lol.

QHriderKE 10-27-2011 07:59 PM

Oh wow. I wish. It seems like just my thing...

My 3 year old is a pretty thoroughbred looking horse, I have no idea what breed she is... she has too much bone to be full TB...

equiniphile 10-27-2011 08:08 PM

Almost any horse can compete at the lower levels. There are hunter paces that are soley cross country with no dressage or show jumping rounds. As for fitness, it definitely depends on the horse and level, but my Thoroughbred could go into a competition working 4-5 days a week and be fine. He exercises himself enough on his own when I put him out on the back pastures every day :lol:

QHriderKE 10-27-2011 08:23 PM

Dang. I really wanna get into this now... my horse would love it I think. She gets awfully sweaty when I take her for a little gallop in the pasture, but she doesn't tire.

DraftyAiresMum 10-27-2011 09:21 PM

QH, I definitely want to get into eventing when Aires gets to be old enough. I've talked to my trainer (who has done some eventing when she was younger) and she thinks he'd be amazing at it. It takes A LOT for him to sweat up and he's always ready to just keep going.

Is it weird that I'm stoked at the thought of going break-neck over a cross country course, but I shudder at the thought of pole bending or barrel racing? lol

QHriderKE 10-27-2011 09:38 PM

Naw. I think flying over a cross country course would be the best thing ever!! I like barrels.... but I think that the 17 or so seconds doesnt measure up to how I think riding cross country would feel.

I think my mare would be killer at it, she likes to jump things just for the heck of it and loves to run :)

DraftyAiresMum 10-27-2011 09:47 PM

I keep having these dreams of Aires and I doing these little tiny beginner courses (the jumps are usually only about 18 inches high) and he just canters over them because he's so tall (he'll be at least 16.3hh by the time he's done growing...probably taller). lol

The only western event I'd like to try is team sorting. Just ask MHFoundationQuarters what she thinks about that, though. ;-) She said that the cows would probably be able to walk right under Aires. :-P

QHriderKE 10-27-2011 09:52 PM

Hahaha yeah... my 3 year old is gonna be pretty tall... she's about 15.3 right now... I'm hoping she'll hit the 16hh mark!!! I'm going to start her on barrels in spring, while taking her to brandings and dragging calves with her, build some muscle!

DraftyAiresMum 10-27-2011 09:56 PM

Aires is 15.3 right now...but his butt is just over 16hh. lol It's funny because he was standing next to my friend's 15.3hh arab and the trainer's 15.2hh arab (on the far side of them) and you could see his butt over the top of both of them. :-P