The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   So Worried (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/so-worried-101553/)

AllThePrettyHorses 10-26-2011 08:46 AM

So Worried

In a few weeks, I will be going away to Europe for a total of 10 days. It should be the trip of a lifetime-we're going to have some amazing experiences, and my parents have certainly spent enough for it to be the trip of a lifetime :wink:

I should be excited and happy...but I'm not. Right now I'm feeling like I don't even want to go, because I'm just so worried. I'm leaving behind my two horses, my dog, and the cat, and I am so scared something is going to happen to them when I'm not there. As if it weren't bad enough that I'm not going to be there to look after them, I'm just told this morning that my dad is going away that week too, so neither of us will be there if anything happens. He's getting a horse-wise friend of his to stop by twice a day and chore and take care of things, but that is not the same as dad being at home all day working in the shop. It's probably coincidence, but every time dad goes away (for long periods of time, like a week), at least one of the horses gets hurt in some way. I know there's only a 2 in 6 chance it will be one of mine, but I still don't like those odds. PLUS, I will be gone 10 days, and in that time, none of the horses will have their feet cleaned or their stalls mucked (I think it's too much to ask dad's friend to pick each horse's feet every day and clean stalls for us), so who knows what their feet will look like when I get back.

I'm not even going to get started on the dog and cat.

I ALWAYS do this before I go away. And so far as I can remember, nothing ever happens. But what if it does? I will be thousands of miles away, dad a few hundred, and the horses are only getting checked on twice a day. I am feeling sick with worry and am almost in tears. I don't even leave for another two weeks, but I'm already wanting to be home again.

Saskia 10-26-2011 10:20 AM

I always get a horse friend to care for mine when away, usually we do a swap thing, where I look after theirs when they go away, but if not I pay them.

Perhaps you have a friend or something you can pay to come out everyday? Or you can give them some lessons in exchange?

DuffyDuck 10-26-2011 10:53 AM

I get like this too! I bought Duffy and a couple of weeks later I was doing a Children with Additional Needs holiday which I'd volunteered to do in Jan! This is July! I thought I can't leave her with my dad (horsey too!) for 10 days!
But the first couple of days I was constantly phoning
'HOWS MY HORSE'
mum 'Hello to you too'

It is easier said than done, but try not to worry. You have to think, the horses could injure themselves with or without you there, but there are people around who know enough to be able to help with any situation. Will you be able to use your phones, or have access to email so they can keep in touch for you? Might give you peace of mind!

AllThePrettyHorses 10-26-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 1212435)
I always get a horse friend to care for mine when away, usually we do a swap thing, where I look after theirs when they go away, but if not I pay them.

Perhaps you have a friend or something you can pay to come out everyday? Or you can give them some lessons in exchange?

My dad does have one of his horsey friends coming over, but that's what I mean-I'm worried regardless. The only one I really trust with the care of my horses is me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1212452)
I get like this too! I bought Duffy and a couple of weeks later I was doing a Children with Additional Needs holiday which I'd volunteered to do in Jan! This is July! I thought I can't leave her with my dad (horsey too!) for 10 days!
But the first couple of days I was constantly phoning
'HOWS MY HORSE'
mum 'Hello to you too'

It is easier said than done, but try not to worry. You have to think, the horses could injure themselves with or without you there, but there are people around who know enough to be able to help with any situation. Will you be able to use your phones, or have access to email so they can keep in touch for you? Might give you peace of mind!

The thing is, though, if anything happens to one of my animals, my mom is not going to tell me. Because if she told me: "Your horse died", then the rest of my trip would be in misery while I would just want to go home. So I won't know anything until I get home, and I can't even trust my mom if she says "they're fine", because what if she's lying?

Lakotababii 10-26-2011 05:22 PM

I used to worry about stuff like this too. And maybe it took me losing one to a terrible accident to realize one thing: Stuff happens!!

What could you do about your horse getting hurt right now? I mean if it got hurt, you'd call a vet and help and everything, but really can you prevent it?

Nope.

If a horse wants to hurt them self, then they will. :wink: Morbid thought I know but I swear horses are some of the only animals alive that could find a way to kill themselves in a padded room.

So my point is: If your horse is going to get hurt, it's gonna happen whether or not you are in Europe. Your family will respond, and the outcome will most likely be the same, whether you are there or not. You being there isn't going to change anything. I know you would love to be there if they were hurt, because you want to know what's going on. But it has helped me to accept that we can't be there all the time. And even if we could, we cannot prevent all accidents.

You are leaving them with a competent person. And they will keep doing what they were before: eating, sleeping, drinking, and pooping :lol:

Heck they may not even realize you were gone. So enjoy your trip to Europe knowing you are privileged to be able to take such a trip, and that you are leaving your horses in a competent horseman's care.

AllThePrettyHorses 10-28-2011 11:34 AM

Thank you Lakotababii, your reply was very..encouraging.

Even so, I hate to say it...I'm still concerned. I just cannot stop worrying.