The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   English Pointers Anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/english-pointers-anyone-101606/)

Western2English 10-26-2011 08:11 PM

English Pointers Anyone?

Hey everyone! I'm W2E and in my name it says Western to English. . . .well I just moved from riding Western to English. I have only ridden English once ( on Sunday) and am really kinda confused. I'm telling myself they're pretty much the same but I am really "green" with English and was wondering if anyone had any pointers. Somethings I'm curious about are~

What is a half-halt? Wow I'm stupid!
When you ride Hunter Under Saddle are there jumps?
Should you be able to jump a 33 year old horse with arthritis? If so how high?

Is there anything else I should know before I get showing? I know the basics like how to post and stuff.

kitten_Val 10-26-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Western2English (Post 1212914)
What is a half-halt? Wow I'm stupid!

There is no such a thing as stupid question. It's way more stupid NOT to ask if you don't know something. :wink:

I'll leave jumping to other folks, but as for half-halt you can read it here http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/m...effects-92170/ and watch this (really nice) video
And Welcome to the Forum, BTW. :D

Saskia 10-27-2011 03:17 AM

I would not jump a 33 year old horse, especially with arthritis.

Kiviknon 10-27-2011 06:54 AM

Hmmm, keep your heels down. Grip with your calves. Welcome to a way more comfortable way to ride.

kitten_Val 10-27-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 1213252)
I would not jump a 33 year old horse, especially with arthritis.

Yes, I agree on this one.

TurnNBurn625 10-27-2011 11:57 AM

Hunter Under Saddle (HUS) generally do NOT have a jumps. its basically Walk, Trot, Canter.

horsemadgirl 10-27-2011 05:54 PM

Be sure to keep you heels down, but i wouldn't grip with you legs, you upper body will get sore very quickly and as soon as you need to kick on bait you will loose balance if you've got used to gripping. Western riding is more comfortable than english riding, english riding is more about precision, sit up straight as a plank and keep you hands, but maintaining a flexible shoulder.

Hope i helped(;

Western2English 10-29-2011 10:20 AM

Thank you. And when I say jump I don't mean anything over about 1 and a half feet or even just a caveletti. But thank you when I ride next time I try to keep these in mind.

ItzKayley 10-29-2011 10:48 AM

Sub, wanna read replies if there is more. :-P
Posted via Mobile Device

Barry Godden 10-29-2011 10:58 AM

W2E
Please don't even think of jumping a 30 year old horse. Just nurse that grand old man/or lady as you would your grand parents.

Also be very careful with the saddle and ask someone knowledgeable of matters English to check that there is no unwanted pressure on the horse's spine and that the saddle sits down on the horse's back without any rocking.

If you look back in the English Riding Forum you'll find threads which describe the essential differences between riding Western and US/English. UK/English is essentially the same except some of the terms used are different.

What made you think of coming to the other side?