The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Buddy says this guy is not a quarter horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/buddy-says-guy-not-quarter-horse-101627/)

70ptta 10-26-2011 11:58 PM

Buddy says this guy is not a quarter horse

1 Attachment(s)
Ive been looking for a quarter horse and found this guy. I showed him to my buddy who knows a lot more bout horses than I do and he says hes not a quarter horse or at least not full quarter horse. Owner says quarter horse but the horse is not registered. what do you guys think?

amp23 10-27-2011 12:25 AM

I think he looks like a QH, but could possibly be a cross. Is this a horse you're looking to buy? He looks very butt-high.. Could be the angle though. Do you have any more pictures of him? I think he's a very pretty boy!

70ptta 10-27-2011 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes im thinking of buying him. Im new to horses. Is being butt-high a bad thing? Heres a side view.

AngieLee 10-27-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amp23 (Post 1213099)
I think he looks like a QH, but could possibly be a cross. Is this a horse you're looking to buy? He looks very butt-high.. Could be the angle though. Do you have any more pictures of him? I think he's a very pretty boy!

wow, i hope this is the angel of the photo but he looks VERY butt high! i'd say part QH but im deff not an expert at all! and sometimes they can surprise you!

amp23 10-27-2011 12:38 AM

I will let some of the more knowledgeable members on here give you more information on that. But it does look like he's also standing funny on his back legs.. Not sure about that. Hopefully someone else will post that knows more than I do :)

AngieLee 10-27-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70ptta (Post 1213113)
Yes im thinking of buying him. Im new to horses. Is being butt-high a bad thing? Heres a side view.

he's very butt high. and its not horrible, like he wont keel over and die because of it lol but it is a comforation flaw and can lead to issues sometimes. Just like people, if sometimes wrong with your structure it usually leads to issues in the long term. so it really depends on what your depending to use him for, weather you should really worry about it. pleasure horse? trail horse? show horse?

sorry there are many people on here who could give you more info then i could.

amp23 10-27-2011 12:42 AM

From Wikipedia:

Steep-Rumped
Viewed form the side, the pelvis assumes a steep, downward slope.
Uncommon, except in draft horses, but seen in some Warmbloods.
A steep slant of the pelvis lowers the point of buttock bringing it closer to the ground & shortening the length of muscles from the point of buttock & the gaskin. Shortens the backward swing of the leg because of reduced extension & rotation of hip joint. A horse needs a good range of hip to get a good galloping speed and mechanical efficiency of hip and croup for power & thrust. Therefore, a goose-rumped horse is not good at flat racing or sprinting.
Harder for a horse to “get under” and engage the hindquarters. Causes the loins and lower back to work harder, predisposing them to injury.
A goose-rump is valuable in sports with rapid turns & spins (reining, cutting). The horse is able to generate power for short, slow steps (good for draft work).
Horse is most suited for stock horse work, slow power events (draft in harness), low speed events (equitation, pleasure, trail)

paintedpastures 10-27-2011 12:46 AM

He is built alot like a QH .He does look longer in the back,seems to have been ridden with ill fitting saddle as he has white patches on his shoulders. most worrisome is that hind foot that he is tip toed up on ? club foot.The photo angles aren't great& he is standing on incline making him look more butt high

70ptta 10-27-2011 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one more

blue eyed pony 10-27-2011 12:57 AM

Butt high for sure, even though in the side-on photo he's not on level ground. Also a bit upright in the pasterns. Butt high makes it hard for them to work correctly and increases the strain on the forelegs as it pushes the centre of gravity farther forwards and therefore puts more of the horse's weight on the forelegs. Upright in the pasterns gives them less shock absorption making for a choppier ride and potential soundness problems in the future. He also looks like he doesn't have enough depth through the loingirth (where the belly meets the hindquarter) and that will make for a structural weakness of the back, meaning he won't be a horse that will carry a lot of weight. He's a little long in the back which further decreases the amount of weight he can carry but he should be ok for the average rider... as long as you keep in mind to try to be gentle on his back. As a beginner you won't BE gentle, because you won't have your balance or the muscle strength, but as long as you're trying, that's the main thing.

If you're new to horses your main priority is that the horse is sane and sound and is a comfortable ride, though, so as long as he is a safe mount for you, it doesn't matter if he won't reach the top in whatever discipline. The best advice I can give is not to worry about the breed and look for a horse that is safe for you. The hottest horse I know is a QH and the quietest an Anglo Arab! Of course, breed stereotypes are there for a reason, but don't get too hung up on breed. My first horse was a Standardbred bought because the stereotype is that they're forgiving and level-headed... he was my worst nightmare... nervous horse that bolted often and had barely any stop. How I managed not to get hurt, I don't know. It just didn't work out very well for all involved.

To me, the horse you're looking at looks part QH. A full QH would have a lot more muscle and (local to me) a lot more thickness of bone through the legs. He may be an appendix (Thoroughbred cross) which are nice horses but some inherit the TB scattyness - again, a stereotype, my family had a TB that was an amazing beginner's horse, totally reliable. (until you took her out to riding club but that's because she raced and then sat as a broodmare until we got her)