The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   oh, my gosh, I'm so embarrassed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/oh-my-gosh-im-so-embarrassed-101628/)

ThursdayNext 10-26-2011 11:02 PM

oh, my gosh, I'm so embarrassed

My horse got into a fight on the playground. He might as well have bitten another one of the kids in pre-school. :-(

For one reason and another, he's had a turnout paddock to himself for the last month or so. The barn owner is pretty big on having the horses turned out with one or more paddock buddies, because she says that this is natural for horses and good for them, and that if they spend too much time alone they get neurotic and maladjusted. I'm OK with this.

But my guy, he's AWFUL. The barn owner has been waiting to try him in turnout with different paddock buddies until she has a whole day or so at the farm to keep an eye on developments. First, he got put out with an elderly mare, and he bullied her! Then he got put out with a totally herd-bound gelding, and they got into a screaming match. Then he got put out with a couple of other geldings - that was yesterday afternoon.

When I came to the barn this afternoon, he was out in the paddock with one of the other geldings, and was behaving very badly! He kept running at the other horse, making aggressive postures, etc. When I went into the paddock, my horse looked like he was screening me from the other horse, and wouldn't let the other one approach me.

Then I found out - it took a while because he was wearing his raincoat - that he'd gotten into a HUGE fight yesterday afternoon and had a scrape on his shoulder from it. (The barn owner mentioned this to me, it's not like I got it as a surprise). So I'm putting betadine on it and inspecting it, and thinking, hey, that's U-shaped, what could have done that, and I realized, he got kicked! And since he was kicked on the front of the shoulder, he must have been facing the butt of whatever horse kicked him, and I'd be willing to bet $20 that he was in the process of trying to bite that horse on the butt when he got kicked.

So, OMG, my horse is a Delinquent. Any minute now and he's going to start sneaking cigarettes in the back of the paddock and get a tacky tattoo. I am mortified. I know that horses need the social time, and I know that it can be kind of alarming as they sort out their differences, but still...it is my horse that is the Bully. :oops: I feel responsible for this, even though I know it is not somehow my fault (it can't be, because he's been like this for longer than I've known him). Still I am mortified. :oops:

Also, now he has this huge scrape on his shoulder. It took his hair off! Right down to the skin, and I think some of the skin peeled off too! He is not bleeding, though. The barn owner (she loves him, which is a good thing considering how badly he is behaving at the moment) says that this scrape is "nothing". She wasn't dismissing my concerns, but putting them into perspective, but I still feel like OMG My baby!! All scraped up!!!

At the risk of injecting common sense into this (like, why bother, given all this histrionic drama?) what's the best way to treat an injury like this? I sprayed it with Banixx and put some vitamin E oil on it. I have a brand new horse first aid kit that is full of oddball things that I don't really know what they're for. The Smartpak girls said it was a good idea, and I checked the Health thread about the vet kits, and most of this stuff is on the lists there, so I HAVE the gear, but I don't know the best way to deploy it. Any suggestions? Clearly this is a first for me!

MyBoyPuck 10-26-2011 11:15 PM

Yeah, skin scrapes really are nothing. They heal really quickly. Sorry your guy's a delinquent! That's pretty funny.

christabelle 10-26-2011 11:55 PM

Lol, love your rant. Sorry, I have nothing useful to add though... Just... LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 10-27-2011 01:13 AM

If he's not bleeding, you don't need to do anything. Wash it off with a bit of Betadine if it'll make you feel better.

Not all horses get along well with others. My gelding has his own turnout since he likes to bite and chase others. He had quite a few scrapes when I bought him as a result of his pasture mates not appreciating his behavior.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-27-2011 01:37 AM

You're either going to have to let him take his lumps while they figure out who is who in the zoo or tell the barn owner you want him in his own paddock. He can be near another horse, just not with one. He might get a few more scrapes and maybe a bite or 2 if you decide to let him take his lumps though. Does she have a real dominant bossy mare she could pair him up with? That usually sorts them out pretty quickly.

ridergirl23 10-27-2011 01:40 AM

My vet always says: "if it makes YOU feel better, you can put wound cream on it."
hahaha thats funny though, little bugger likes to fight!

Poseidon 10-27-2011 02:09 AM

I have a bossy mare who usually has some kind of scape or bite on her if she has another horse with her. When I find them, I tell her, "Well whose fault is this? Certainly not mine because I wasn't a jerk to everyone else." I don't do anything to her cuts unless they're still a bit fresh and not dried, when I put some wonderdust on it.

cakemom 10-27-2011 02:12 AM

Like I tell my son about my daughter, "keep picking on her son, and I'm gonna LET her kick your behind". Sometimes, the bully has to get pegged.
Put some cream on it, it helps us as mothers.
Posted via Mobile Device

ThursdayNext 10-27-2011 09:31 AM

Thanks! I feel better now. I did tell him it was his own fault, he had been out with the bossy mare and he tried to beat her up and that's why he got put in with the other boys. The mare is old, too, and she only eats hay cubes, so she wasn't even any threat to his food. But no, he had to be a jerk.

I cannot believe how hard they are on each other! You would think that a critter that has skin so sensitive they can feel a fly land on it would try a little harder not to get chomped or kicked.

I hope that they settle things out, soon. Usually my boy is very sweet to me, but yesterday even though he came right over to me, he didn't stay for more than a couple of seconds and he had 95% of his attention on the other horse to make sure the other horse wasn't getting away with whatever my horse thought he was trying to get away with. It wasn't anything obvious to me, but it was obvious as heck to my guy. It was like trying to talk to a friend on the phone when there are a pair of toddlers squabbling away in the background. Total distraction. Good thing the only thing I wanted to do was to get a look at a cut he had on his hock, but even that I had to wait until I got him haltered up and out of the pasture and taken him on a walk to cool down. He was really wound up!

Lakotababii 10-27-2011 03:45 PM

I knew a mare once that was the worst I have ever seen. Had to be kept completely separate from others. She would run them through fences, bite, kick, squeal. She was AWFUL! She once made a horse go over a metal gate!! It was so bent up.. the horse was fine but man!

Needless to say she was by herself after that. lol

Another example: I put my horse in at my barn and he got along great with everyone, except one gelding. My horse was submissive to the max! But this horse didn't care. It seriously looked like this horse was going to kill my gelding. By the time I managed to get him out of there, he had 8 bit marks on his rear, hair missing and everything.

They were kept separate too. :shock: