The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   grow thicker coat?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/grow-thicker-coat-101654/)

kait18 10-27-2011 10:20 AM

grow thicker coat??

not sure where to put this ...

but what do you guys use to help your horse have a thicker coat? just interested to see what others use

Speed Racer 10-27-2011 10:22 AM

A horse's winter coat thickness is based on genetics. There isn't anything you can give them to make it grow more.

If you have a horse with a thin winter coat, you may have to blanket it.

kait18 10-27-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1213412)
A horse's winter coat thickness is based on genetics. There isn't anything you can give them to make it grow more.

If you have a horse with a thin winter coat, you may have to blanket it.

i know that and believe it...mostly!!! my guys have very nice winter coats. thank goodness. but my vet told my friend to use corn oil on her pony. it is supposedly good with helping to clean and thicken the coat for the winter.
ever hear of this

andalusianfan 10-31-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1213427)
i know that and believe it...mostly!!! my guys have very nice winter coats. thank goodness. but my vet told my friend to use corn oil on her pony. it is supposedly good with helping to clean and thicken the coat for the winter.
ever hear of this

I've never heard of using corn oil to thicken a horses coat.. corn oil is used to help make your horse shiny MTG is mostly used to help with hair growth but I wouldn't use it a lot as its very oily and smells really bad. My horse does not grow a thick winter coat so I blanket her at night,when its raining,or just to darn cold.. hope I've helped :)
Posted via Mobile Device