The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Saddle on Saro *update page 2* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/saddle-saro-%2Aupdate-page-2%2A-10166/)

Vidaloco 06-14-2008 03:18 PM

Saddle on Saro *update page 2*

I was doing the cleaning on Saro today after riding Vida. I got her brushed out and feet cleaned. Well Vida's saddle was just sitting there so I decided to put it on Saro. First time she did really good. no spook or anything just stood there and let me put it on her.
Should I be doing that? I only left it on her for a min. or so. She turned and took a look at the stirrups I was kinda banging around on her side. Other than that she just stood there. She just turned 2 am I pushing too fast?

PoptartShop 06-14-2008 03:24 PM

I don't think that's moving too fast. :D I think it's good to at least get her used to having a saddle on. It's not like you're riding her. :lol: But that's awesome she didn't spook!

mlkarel2010 06-14-2008 03:58 PM

I don't think you're moving too fast, the sooner the better honestly, and putting the saddle on as long as you aren't on her is a really fundamental thing....

americancowgurl31391 06-14-2008 04:18 PM

It will get her used to having the saddle on. I dont think you're moving too fast. Just take it slow.

RammsteinHorse 06-14-2008 04:24 PM

Just the saddle is okay, my opinion. It's only good for her to get used to it, don't start riding her to early and when you do, don't drive her to fast. I think you do the best thing for your horse :D

jazzyrider 06-14-2008 05:59 PM

theres definitely nothing wrong with sitting the saddle on her back for a while. at her age and size the saddle certainly wouldnt be causing her any issues while its just sitting there.

its great that she just took it like that :)

SonnyWimps 06-14-2008 05:59 PM

I don't think that's too fast at all

Sorry offtopic but RammsteinHorse I LOOOVE your avatar hehe sooo cute

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-14-2008 08:30 PM

I think that would actuallly be good for him. No rider of course but a saddle should be fine and banging the stirups around wholdn't hurt anything either.

Brandon 06-14-2008 11:11 PM

Vida i think what you did is perfectly fine. I mean that is basically sackin out the horse, and i think its a good move to get the horse introduced to the saddle and such. Then when it comes to the time where you will begin ridin her, then she will already be familiar with the saddle and stuff like that.

Miss Katie 06-15-2008 04:39 AM

Thats fine. Its good he took it well, lol the big test is having him walk, thats when they really take notice of the girth :P