The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saddle on Saro *update page 2*

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  my2geldings 
#1 ·
I was doing the cleaning on Saro today after riding Vida. I got her brushed out and feet cleaned. Well Vida's saddle was just sitting there so I decided to put it on Saro. First time she did really good. no spook or anything just stood there and let me put it on her.
Should I be doing that? I only left it on her for a min. or so. She turned and took a look at the stirrups I was kinda banging around on her side. Other than that she just stood there. She just turned 2 am I pushing too fast?

#6 ·
theres definitely nothing wrong with sitting the saddle on her back for a while. at her age and size the saddle certainly wouldnt be causing her any issues while its just sitting there.

its great that she just took it like that :)

#8 ·
I think that would actuallly be good for him. No rider of course but a saddle should be fine and banging the stirups around wholdn't hurt anything either.

#9 ·
Vida i think what you did is perfectly fine. I mean that is basically sackin out the horse, and i think its a good move to get the horse introduced to the saddle and such. Then when it comes to the time where you will begin ridin her, then she will already be familiar with the saddle and stuff like that.

#11 ·
Miss Katie said:
Thats fine. Its good he took it well, lol the big test is having him walk, thats when they really take notice of the girth :P
Thats what I thought. :lol: and one of the reasons I sort of banged the stirrups around her sides. I've tyed a saddle pad on her a few times and walked her around with no reactions. I've never taken a horses training past halter breaking. Not sure what I should be doing with her.

#13 ·
I was thinking at 3 1/2 starting light work under saddle. I don't want to put any weight on her till 4 or so.
She pretty much has most of the ground stuff down.

#15 ·
Nah, not too fast at all! Just packing a saddle won't hurt her,(she's a good sized girl!) and will help prepare her mind for the future "big day" of the first ride. First, it was casual, and she remained calm. Excellent! Second, it was over before she had a chance to resent it. Third, she won't associate it with being ridden just yet, so it's a totally positive experience.

#18 ·
I have both the girls standing quietly while I step up on a mounting block and lean over them. I started putting some weight on them today actually laying across their backs. They both did a little walk off but nothing major. Still doing ok?

#22 ·
Vidaloco said:
Me either on the training :lol: I'm so afraid I'm going to screw them up and ruin them for life :shock:
You won't :D I think to this point you have done enough. If the pony accepts the weight and listens then you are doing well. Another thing that I add is lunging with the stirrups down, let them flop around while they are on the ground. Something that freaks some of the horses out but excellent for ground work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.