The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Cell phones on eBay? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/cell-phones-ebay-101678/)

kitten_Val 10-27-2011 04:01 PM

Cell phones on eBay?

I'm thinking about getting one (because buying it from Sprint is freakin expensive), but I'm wondering about experience. In short I'm afraid of rip-off. :) Have you bought one there? May be other places to shop for one?

jinxremoving 10-27-2011 05:03 PM

When buying a phone from eBay, make sure you're first of all buying from a reputable seller with at least a 100+ items sold and a decent seller rating of at least 95% ... any less and I get a bit antsy. I personally try to buy expensive items or "risky" items from sellers with 1000+ items sold. A lot of those sellers are phone dealers and often include a website, location or phone number in the ad.

The next thing depends on the phone. If it takes a SIM card then make sure the phone is either unlocked or has the Sprint logo on it to ensure that it works. If it's an older phone that uses CDMA you can ask for the ESN # located under the battery and call Sprint to verify that it can be used on their network. The last thing you want is to buy a phone that can't be activated on their network without actually unlocking it yourself which can be a pain. :(

I've bought a couple phones from eBay and never had any trouble. A lot of people have concerns about shopping there but I've been active on the site for many years and never had any trouble.

countrygirl3 10-27-2011 05:15 PM

just got to see ratings on people we got a phone off eaby and it works great!

kitten_Val 10-27-2011 08:31 PM

Thank you, folks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxremoving (Post 1213825)
When buying a phone from eBay, make sure you're first of all buying from a reputable seller with at least a 100+ items sold and a decent seller rating of at least 95% ... any less and I get a bit antsy. I personally try to buy expensive items or "risky" items from sellers with 1000+ items sold. A lot of those sellers are phone dealers and often include a website, location or phone number in the ad.

The next thing depends on the phone. If it takes a SIM card then make sure the phone is either unlocked or has the Sprint logo on it to ensure that it works. If it's an older phone that uses CDMA you can ask for the ESN # located under the battery and call Sprint to verify that it can be used on their network. The last thing you want is to buy a phone that can't be activated on their network without actually unlocking it yourself which can be a pain. :(

I've bought a couple phones from eBay and never had any trouble. A lot of people have concerns about shopping there but I've been active on the site for many years and never had any trouble.

I'm asking the sellers if the phone has clean ESN and can be activated right away. I assume if they say yes and I can't I can require a return, right? (I also look for those with return time period...)

jinxremoving 10-27-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1214072)
I'm asking the sellers if the phone has clean ESN and can be activated right away. I assume if they say yes and I can't I can require a return, right? (I also look for those with return time period...)

They should be able to provide you with the ESN number so that you can verify yourself, although I do know that some legit sellers will not give out the ESN number for whatever reason.

Returns are dependent on the seller and the auction, it should state somewhere on the auction page. If you pay with PayPal and you get burned and the seller will not refund, you can always open a dispute and often times will win provided you have enough documentation to prove that they scammed you.

kitten_Val 10-27-2011 09:49 PM

Thanks, jinx!

simplysouthern 10-27-2011 10:48 PM

My husband breaks blackberries like theyre going out of style - WORK blackberries. We've bought the last 3 on ebay, just make sure they have a clean ESN and will work on your network.

Kiviknon 10-28-2011 04:12 AM

Ebay can be evil sometimes. Thought about Craigslist? Sprint is really good about letting you check ESNs.

iridehorses 10-28-2011 05:54 AM

I wasn't sure what an ESN was so I looked it up and came across this article that may help: eBay Guides - VERIFING CLEAR CELL PHONE ESN -FOR BUYERS AND SELLERS

kitten_Val 10-28-2011 10:07 AM

Thanks, folks! I didn't think to check Craigslist. I'm a little hesitant about graigs because there are more spammers there in my experience. Although may be it got better lately. :)