The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Measuring English saddle seat size (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/measuring-english-saddle-seat-size-101687/)

verona1016 10-27-2011 06:19 PM

Measuring English saddle seat size

Hopefully this is a quick question :-)

When measuring an English saddle's seat size from the button to the center of the cantle, do you include the entire button in the measurement?

I always assumed it was to the middle of the button, but when I tried measuring the Wintec Dressage Pro that I've been borrowing for several years, the tape measure ended up reading 16.75" in the middle of the button. So, if the measurement includes the button, it would be 17". If you don't include the button it would be 16.5". If you are supposed to measure to the middle of the button maybe something's wrong with the saddle? :shock:

WildAcreFarms 10-27-2011 06:54 PM

I that you were supposed to start in the middle of the button.
possibly they are giving a little extra seat room because of a deep seat??
several of the dressage saddles tell people to size up a seat. or a half size. that may be that saddle makers way of compensating for that.

SaddleOnline 10-27-2011 08:58 PM

I've always measured from the front of the button and included the button within the measurement.

verona1016 10-28-2011 01:41 AM

Ok, I'll go with including the button.

I've been seeing way more 17" saddles on the used market than 16.5" so that's probably the size where I'd need to start looking anyway :-)

tinyliny 10-28-2011 02:24 AM

I think your reasoning is good. I always seemed to measure from the middle of the button, but I think you do include the button. Funny, who'd think it made much of a difference.

WildAcreFarms 10-28-2011 04:12 AM

This is what Ebay says about it:

I have found a lot of sellers that have been measuring their English saddle like a western saddle. This is incorrect. If you measure your English saddle from the center of the gullet straight back to the cantle, the size comes out way too small. To measure an English saddle, go from the brad or nail head at the side of the pommel [front of the saddle] to the center of the cantle [back of the seat]. This measurement will be at an angle. This will give you a correct seat size.
When purchasing an English saddle, most people think the seat size is all about their size, but the most important factor is not your fanny size, though that plays some part in fit, it is mostly the length of your upper thigh. If you purchase a saddle that is too big for you, you will have a very hard time ever maintaining a correct seat position, you will constantly have to fight to avoid riding chair seat, and your posting will not be the small, smooth movement it should be, but rather a huge effort at popping up and down in the saddle. When you sit correctly in any saddle, [with the exception of a saddle seat saddle], you must have a line from your shoulder to your hip to your heel.

WildAcreFarms 10-28-2011 04:17 AM

Hey OP I think the size of saddle you need goes by your hip to knee measurement. You sit down in a chair that leaves your thigh parallel with the ground and measure from the back of your fanny to the end of your knee and that measurement correlates with different saddle sizes. Also keep in mind that you have to fit your HORSE (not only your bottom) and not only as in narrow, med or wide but the LENGTH of the saddle as well. Many short backed horses have to have special saddles to conform to their short backs. Just a few tips to hopefully save you the headache of buying 10 - 20 saddles before you find the right one (like yours truly LOL)

verona1016 10-29-2011 01:30 AM

Thanks for the tips WildAcreFarms :-) I'll definitely be making sure the saddle fits both me and my horse!