The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   My 3 year old's first time with trotting poles! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/my-3-year-olds-first-time-101720/)

QHriderKE 10-27-2011 11:05 PM

My 3 year old's first time with trotting poles!

Please critique both of us!!!!

I was just working on her collection at this time, but I didn't bother asking her to collect while working on something new... she's just a baby!

I'm still very undecided on what direction I want to go with her, she has sooooo much potential to do so much...

tinyliny 10-27-2011 11:33 PM

Qh

I have seen you ride on other videos and find that you have a really nice natural seat. I really like this mare. She seems really relaxed and really following your hand quite nicely. I love the way she follows the rein with her nose, then neck and then body. She is also very rythmic and pretty balanced for such a young horse. I think she has tons of potential and you seem to have a very good bond with her. Your seat is very light and noninterfeering.

I did notice that she has a lot harder time flexing and following that rein in turns to the right. And you worked her a bit more going left than right, so that's something to keep in mind; to start evening that up. Don't let her fall around the cornere going to the right. Well, don't let her fall around the corner at all. But not worrying about all of that right now is a good strategy with a young horse. keep her willingly moving forward and thinking around the turn.

Oh, and next time put the poles more in front of the camer so we can see you pass over them instead of see you go away from us or toward us.

QHriderKE 10-28-2011 03:25 PM

Thank you Tiny :) I will try to get another video before the snow flys...
Since she's become more comfortable with collection, she flexes much better to the right.

Anyone else?

tinyliny 10-28-2011 03:44 PM

you talk alot about collection. I am not sure I would say she is "collected", but I think you mean she is flexed to the bit and soft on it, right?

If you are interested in learning some cool stuff from a book, consider buying and reading "True Horsemanship Through Feel" by Bill Dorrance and Leslie Desmond. YOu will find this very hard to digest at first, but keep it and reread it and rearead it and . . . each time it will make more sense to you. I think you have a light and sensitive hand and if you can develop this "feel" it will make your horsemanship grow hugely, and deeply.

mls 10-28-2011 03:52 PM

Stay centered at 37, 1:04 and 1:10 you lean to the right.

Stay on your pockets. Her hesitation at 1:22 - you can see she puts you on your zipper.

QHriderKE 10-29-2011 03:44 PM

I have a new video that I braved the icky wind for! You had better feel special!!!!!!!!!!