The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   I want one of these saddles! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/i-want-one-these-saddles-101730/)

azhorseluvr1222 10-28-2011 12:17 AM

I want one of these saddles!

TrailMaster Saddles custom fit for you and your horse Everything the website explained rang true about me and my horse and how uncomfortable both of us are. My feet go numb, my back hurts, he cow kicks and paces, just to name of few of the things that go on. Hes not a gaited horse but he absolutely shortens his stride and even seems lame at times, I suspect my saddle bridges as well. When he has no saddle on all issues go away and I don't think hes "acting up"when the saddle goes on. I guess I have to start saving up :shock:. The real thing going on in my mind now is what do I do until I can get a new saddle? What do you guys think of these saddles?

tinyliny 10-28-2011 12:40 AM

They look very nice. I would consider one. I think many cowboys will not use a synthetic tree, however. Most old timey folks want a rawhide covered wood tree.

Is there any other old saddle you can use until the money is available for new?

azhorseluvr1222 10-28-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1214368)
They look very nice. I would consider one. I think many cowboys will not use a synthetic tree, however. Most old timey folks want a rawhide covered wood tree.

Is there any other old saddle you can use until the money is available for new?

My FIL has a beautiful 100 year old saddle but of course he is taller than me and to adjust the stirrups is ridiculously hard and he does ride in it often. I have tried it and loved it, it was so comfortable. I am maybe looking at some sort of a-fork saddle that is less expensive and hopefully will fit Ben better until I can afford one of these.

bsms 10-28-2011 01:20 AM

To be honest, it looked mostly like marketing hype to me. They may be decent saddles, but if I want to cut weight, I'm not sure the tree is where I would start.

The tree should have some flex to it. That is why wood trees use pine or another soft wood instead of oak. The plastic trees have some good points, but they also have some bad.

Good reading here:

The Saddle Tree

bsms 10-28-2011 01:23 AM

If the saddle is bridging, consider putting a pony blanket where the gap is until you can afford to buy a saddle that doesn't bridge. It isn't a perfect solution, but it might help. You can try a hand towel or a regular towel folded to see if it helps before buying anything.

Mayatex San Juan Solids Blanket Pony Size

Saddlebag 10-28-2011 01:28 PM

Can you post a pic of your horse standing sideways with his head up, just not with his nose on the ground? I'd be careful about ordering the Trailmaster. There are too many gimmicks around. If these are so good then why aren't all the saddlemakers using them?

Joe4d 10-28-2011 01:47 PM

Judging by the prices they are extremely proud of them. Gonna be tuff breaking into the market at that price point. I do detect a bit of hype, they cable rigging system isnt really any different than balanced rigging that has been around forever, as far as the horse is concerend.
Hard to say the quality without seeing and riding in one. Wonder if they have loaners ? Seems like if they are that sure of themselves they wouldnt mind sending out a few no obligation loaners.

WildAcreFarms 10-28-2011 05:07 PM

I totally thought a lot of it was sales hype too, they are pretty basic saddles (nice but plain) there are a lot of English saddle makers that will "custom" fit your saddle which they do with the flocking and proper tree size i believe.
Also the Aussie saddles are supposedly custom fit. are you sure that the saddle you have is sitting back in the correct position? I know a lot of us set our saddles too far forward and that makes them all bridge....

OP does your horse have a difficult to fit shape?

iridehorses 10-28-2011 05:15 PM

We have a member who can have a saddle custom made for you for a lot less. I'm riding in one now and it's my second one from him. Southerntrails. This is his site: Western Saddles, Trail Saddles, Barrel Saddle, Ranch Saddle Kevin will be happy to talk to you about your needs.