The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Pre-purchase real estate inspector for small horse property (US) (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/pre-purchase-real-estate-inspector-small-101755/)

egrogan 10-28-2011 11:06 AM

Pre-purchase real estate inspector for small horse property (US)

Hello- I am in the early stages of looking at small horse properties in the Northeastern US. We're looking at properties with ~10 acres and existing barns. We are looking at older farmhouses (generally built in 1800's), and most of the barns on property are older as well, though all have been renovated enough to be habitable by animals.

My question for all of you is how real estate inspections work for barns, fencing, and outbuildings. I've purchased multiple homes (all "in town"), so I am familiar with the typical home inspection for a residence. For some reason, a barn feels different to me.
1. Do you need a separate inspector for the barn/outbuildings, or will a typical residential inspector be able to handle that as well?
2. Are there "must ask" questions related to the barn for the inspector (I'm thinking wiring, water, etc. But will they have expertise in stall/aisle flooring, lofts, etc.?)
3. Do they look at existing fencing as well, or just the structure?

This will be the first horse property I have purchased (and hope to eventually keep 1-2 horses at home, but let's get the property in order first :wink:), so while excited, I know I have a lot to learn. Folks on here have recommended "Horsekeeping on a small acreage" to other posters, and I have been internalizing every page! Thanks for your thoughts.

iridehorses 10-28-2011 11:49 AM

There should be no real difference in an inspector looking at a house and a barn. They should be looking at the general condition of the structure, the roof, the electricity if there is any, etc.

As far as fencing, you should be able to assess that yourself just by walking the fence line and checking the posts and whatever is between them.

starlinestables 10-28-2011 12:06 PM

Be prepared for outbuildings to not appraise for as much as you think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrogan (Post 1214649)
Hello- I am in the early stages of looking at small horse properties in the Northeastern US. We're looking at properties with ~10 acres and existing barns. We are looking at older farmhouses (generally built in 1800's), and most of the barns on property are older as well, though all have been renovated enough to be habitable by animals.

My question for all of you is how real estate inspections work for barns, fencing, and outbuildings. I've purchased multiple homes (all "in town"), so I am familiar with the typical home inspection for a residence. For some reason, a barn feels different to me.
1. Do you need a separate inspector for the barn/outbuildings, or will a typical residential inspector be able to handle that as well?
2. Are there "must ask" questions related to the barn for the inspector (I'm thinking wiring, water, etc. But will they have expertise in stall/aisle flooring, lofts, etc.?)
3. Do they look at existing fencing as well, or just the structure?

This will be the first horse property I have purchased (and hope to eventually keep 1-2 horses at home, but let's get the property in order first :wink:), so while excited, I know I have a lot to learn. Folks on here have recommended "Horsekeeping on a small acreage" to other posters, and I have been internalizing every page! Thanks for your thoughts.

iridehorses 10-28-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlinestables (Post 1214709)
Be prepared for outbuildings to not appraise for as much as you think.

She is talking about inspections, not appraisals.

starlinestables 10-30-2011 11:40 PM

Ooops duh. I didn't read that correctly! I'm thinking of my own issues.. lol

churumbeque 11-07-2011 08:31 PM

Yes a home inspector can look at a barn. Some of it should be your own common sense. I would be concerned if you needed someone to tell you the condition a stall is in as it should be obvious.You should be able to visually look at a fence and tell what condition it is in. Same goes with a barn. If it is leaning and rotted boards then I would be concerned. You would get a seperate well inspection along with septic. Also keep in mind that the home needs to be occupied at least 3 months for a well and septic testing to be accurate. My property was vacant for sometime and I put 10K in escrow for well and septic. The seller kept bothering me for his money and finally after being ijn the house for a bit thye septic tested bad. It cost 10K to get a new one.