The Horse Forum banner

my own rescue

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  cowgirlnay 
#1 ·
this is smokey when i got him in April and how he looks now. (this photo was taken about 6 weeks ago)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I did notice something going on with his back legs, but you did a fantastic job bringing him back to a healthy weight! What a handsome boy, and I'm sure he makes a fantastic pet :D

#16 ·
There is something in the eye of a horse who has had a terrible life...it's almost like they transcend their own sorry existence. Horses are truly incredible souls, and not a single one deserves anything other than safety and great care, and it truly breaks my heart to see them in such condition. THANK YOU for caring and for saving this one's life in spite of his inability to ever been ridden.

I rescued an ottb a few years ago that was in similar condition...he had alternately been starved and beaten for 3 years after winning on the track for 6. Once I got ahold of him, he was so broken that no one gave him a chance or the time of day, but he turned out to be the kindest and wisest horse that I have ever met. I think that every horse person should take in a rescue at least once...it really has an impact on both you and the horse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.