The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Re-breaking an 11 year old ex-racer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/re-breaking-11-year-old-ex-101807/)

ibelieveinbrandy 10-28-2011 07:13 PM

Re-breaking an 11 year old ex-racer?

Brandy- thoroughbred mare,11 years old, 15.1hh.
shes not mine but i've been looking after her for five years. Most people say she's crazy, but we have this bond, and she trusts me more than anything. I really want to ride her, to prove that she really can be a good horse, but she hasn't been properly ridden in atleast seven years and even then it was racing. So, I think I may have to re-break her. She is a bit of a "mare-ish" horse. She has never bucked or pigrooted, but she has a tendency to rear when shes frightened, (i rode her for like five minutes about two years ago and she was perfect... Until the massive rear). And bolting may happen because shes an ex-racer, and a bloody fast one (dont worry, i will be in a round pen). Obviously im going to have someone helping me. But I just need to know what to do, some steps, some advice or even opinions on whether I should or not.
Please help, its something im passionate about.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsemadgirl 10-28-2011 07:18 PM

I would treat it Exactly like braking in a young horse (obviously apart from getting it used to tack... unless it needs it) and it will obviously learn a lot faster but still keep the same processes.

Roperchick 10-28-2011 07:33 PM

Your main thing is going to be getting her to realize that she can go slower now. take small steps with her. let her realize she can relax and she doesnt automatically have to run everytime she gets a saddle on her back. i agree with horsemad its going to be like starting a young horse.

AmazinCaucasian 10-28-2011 08:42 PM

I got a 10 year old runnin Quarter Horse. It's the same as starting a 2 year old except they're bigger, faster, stronger, more dangerous, and think RUN FAST is the answer to everything