The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Palominos in the Hunter Ring (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/palominos-hunter-ring-10185/)

hunterequlover781 06-15-2008 02:18 PM

Palominos in the Hunter Ring

I was just wondering what your opinions on palominos showing hunters are.

We have a 5 year old solid paint palomino gelding who we are in the process of training to sell. He is green, but somewhat of a cute mover and is very laid back. He has potential in hunters as well as english pleasure, but palominos can sometimes be frowned apon in hunters.

PoptartShop 06-15-2008 03:20 PM

Hmm, it depends on where you show. ;) Some shows don't care, others not so much. ;) I don't see it being a problem if the horse has potential! :D

moomoo 06-15-2008 03:26 PM

As long as he does his job its fine, at HOYS the 3 final hunters were a coloured, a dun and a bay... palomino would be fine :D

Supermane 06-15-2008 03:46 PM

I've never seen a dilute place lower than it should, my friend shows a palomino in hunters and she always does very well. All I've seen are problems with appies and paints.

hunterequlover781 06-15-2008 10:44 PM

I do feel that it is becoming less of an issue to have a palomino in the hunter ring. My only concern is that it could be an issue as far as selling him as a hunter.
Thanks so much for you views on it!

Supermane 06-16-2008 12:19 AM

What level hunter are you planning on selling him as? For local and most B shows color doesn't matter too much.

upnover 06-16-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermane
I've never seen a dilute place lower than it should, my friend shows a palomino in hunters and she always does very well. All I've seen are problems with appies and paints.

I agree. I haven't seen any issues with palominos at all.

My2Geldings 06-17-2008 12:21 PM

There is nothing that stops you from competing on a palomino but I know out here you wouldn't do very well depending on the judge that given day. A sad and unfortunate reality of the hunter world.

I am one to do things differently so I will be laughing at all of them when I show up in the ring with my 17+hh mare :wink:

I say go for it.

brightside 06-17-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermane
What level hunter are you planning on selling him as? For local and most B shows color doesn't matter too much.

I agree, most local & B shows dont judge much on color. An old trainer of mine had a palomino gelding and she showed him all circuits up and down the coast. He always did well and ended up being sold as a hunter. I dont think you will have any problems, but like M2G said, it really depends on the judge.

farmpony84 06-17-2008 01:40 PM

Re: Palominos in the Hunter Ring

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterequlover781
I was just wondering what your opinions on palominos showing hunters are.

We have a 5 year old solid paint palomino gelding who we are in the process of training to sell. He is green, but somewhat of a cute mover and is very laid back. He has potential in hunters as well as english pleasure, but palominos can sometimes be frowned apon in hunters.

Truthfully I dont' think it much matters what the color of the horse is. If it's a good mover and is built correctly for the discipline it's being shown in, it's USUALLY judged farely. Once in a while you get a judge that isnt keen on a certain breed or color, but for the most part, it's not the big a deal... I don't know that I've ever seen a palomino discriminated against in the hunt ring though...... paints, apps, drafts, arabs yes... but not a palomino....