The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Things for horse that people often forget to buy!

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  mselizabeth 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm getting a new horse (my first horse) in a week from a rescue agency. I've been riding for 8+ years and I am fairly knowledgable regarding horse ownership.

However, I am a scatter brain and I KNOW I will forget to buy something very basic and I will be kicking myself later for it. :)

So if you guys have any suggestions on what to buy. Basic, useful things that you may have forgotten with your first horse.

This list does not include tack. He comes with tack.

Here's what I have:
Boots
Chaps
Gloves
Crop
Halter
Leadrope
Curry Comb (2)
Dandy Brush (3)
Horse Hair brush
Hoof pick (2)
Helmet

And obviously a place to keep him:-p

I plan on putting together a small vet kit also, but I am not sure what to include in that either.

See less See more
#3 ·
Just a piece of advice: I have one stiff brush and one soft brush for the coat. During a winter I usually use stiff one to get hold of all this mud. You may also want to look into detangler (I use it on tail mostly once in while) and sweat scraper (to scrape water off when you give him a bath).

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I have the two different kids of brushes. And I am looking into getting him a rug.

Is it really that necessary to buy two leadropes and halters? Everyone says it is, but he wont be turned out with it on and I have a place to keep my stuff locked away from everyone else.

Also, any good things to get medicine wise?

#6 ·
Is it really that necessary to buy two leadropes and halters? Everyone says it is, but he wont be turned out with it on and I have a place to keep my stuff locked away from everyone else.
You'd be surprised how easily horse stuff breaks, especially lead ropes. Sometimes all it takes is the horse to pull back once and the snap breaks. After you've had a horse for a while you'll probably find you have close to two of everything. You think that you are paying a premium and it will last for ages but even the best horse stuff breaks easily. I also find leadropes are useful for many things, like as a makeshift "gate", to secure buckets, to wrap up your rugs, or just when you need to catch someone else's horse etc. I don't think you can ever have too many lead ropes. Even when I don't have a horse I carry a leadrope in my car, great for clipping down my boot when I am carry stuff that sticks out the back.

To me though, its the function that is important. I have a nice rope halter and 12 foot braided heavy rope that I use for general ground work, catching my horse, leading around etc. Then I have a standard webbing halter and cheap colourful lead rope which is good for tying up, or if I need to leave my horse in a yard or stable with a halter (like when the farrier comes if you can't be there) or to attach to a neck rug when turned out. I much, much prefer rope halters and long leads, but they're not going to break when a horse pulls back and I think they put a lot of concentrated pressure on the face. Saying that though I probably have more than two of each variety.

Just buy as you go, I'm sure you'll "need" heaps of new things soon. Although maybe like add a towel to your list. In case he is wet, or you need to clean his face, or wipe something or dry something. Very useful.

#8 ·
I may not get the extra leadrope and halter right away, but I will soon :)

Do you guys find corona/wound oitment necessary? I've read mixed things about using it for wound care. Some people say its good to speed up wound care, others say it just slows down the process

#11 ·
Hmmm, lets see. Before I got my guy I had been "collecting" things I would need for the time when I finally got my horse since I was about 6! Hah

But I did forget, and overlook certain things! I ended up having to buy a few things after I got my guy, heres a list

Lunge Line
Lunge Whip
Dressage Whip
Rope Halter
Salt Block
Fly Spray
Sunscreen
Fly Mask
Horse Wound Care
Wormer
Scissors
Mane & Tail Comb
Shampoo
Sponge
Conditioner
Bucket
Sweat Scraper
Rubber Bands
and Treats :D

#15 ·
Also -- if you're buying tack ahead of time, make sure to keep a receipt for all of it, just in case it doesn't fit. Even "easy" stuff like halters, sometimes what you expect isn't what you need.
ie -- our 15hh, ~970 lb horse needs an XL halter, a regular horse size won't even go on him, he just has a big head for his size.

Re: wound ointment, I'd have something on hand. (I use SWAT personally). Even if just to cover up a wound & keep bugs out until a vet can get there. (Although you'll probably have small scrapes that won't really require a vet, but will bleed a bit and attract bugs, keeping them away until a scab forms helps to reduce infections. Regular vaseline can do the same if you have that on hand.

First aid stuff would be the most important to get ahead of time:
Thermometer
Vet Wraps
Scissors
Gloves
Peroxide
Iodine/Betadine
Gauze (Gauze pads are good for packing open wounds to reduce bleeding)
Flashlight for nighttime emergencies

Other items that you may need depending on where your horse is kept:
Wire cutters, if any fencing is wire (to include field fencing) just in case you need to cut a horse free.
Psyllium, if your horse will be in a sandy pen.
Thrush treatment for hooves if the ground is moist/muddy for any portion of the year. (ok if *some* of the pen is mud, ie near the water bucket, but if it's all mud and the hooves can't dry out you'll have to watch for thrush closely).
Hammer (for wood fences & stalls).

In our case, we have a carport for shelter (southern AZ, shade is needed more than warmth); we had to go out late at night to buy tin snips because the entry wasn't quite tall enough for our mare when she came home and she was scraping her back. So you might want those if you have a similiar shelter.

#17 ·
Ray has given you the most important advice, find numbers and have them on speed dial, farrier, vet, trainer, someone who can drop everything at a moments notice to come and hold a horse for you.

If you haven't had animals before, or don't have a horse vet yet, then it is a worth while investment to get one out for a visit do a check over on your horse and facility, yes it costs you, but at least your vet then knows you, and your horse and knows where to find you if there is an emergency.

#19 ·
I'd suggest to use long nose mask (that's what I do). Not all horses co-op with sunscreen.

#21 ·
As for the vet, we have never owned a horse. But the stable we are boarding at has a specific vet that they like, and he is only a mile down the road :D. They also have a set farrier. So we will be using them. I do not plan on getting him checked out unless we need to. Unfortunetly, we just don't have the money for a hefty vet bill yet. I've known this particular horse for 4 years, so i'm not too concerned about his health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.