The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Hunter Show Pix, Vid, and Critic? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/hunter-show-pix-vid-critic-101877/)

HorseLoverHunter 10-29-2011 01:41 PM

Hunter Show Pix, Vid, and Critic?

6 Attachment(s)
So, if you haven't heard, I went to my first show last weekend! I don't think to many people saw so I am just posing some stuff here, and asking for a critic. It was amazing though! I jumped my first ever skinny jump! I competed in two Jr/Am Hunter o/f 2" classes and an Intermediate Equitation Class o/f 2"! Because it was my first show, my trainer told me to try to trot my courses as best as I could. But in my last class, (Intermediate Equitation Class o/f 2"), I cantered the whole thing! Such an overachiever I am! ;-) Anyways, everyone was wondering why I didn't place above 6th in that class (I got 7th), but I really don't care. I was just happy I didn't follow through with the barn riders reputation. (Hehe there are at least 6 people from the barn that had fallen at their first show! Even my trainer had fallen at her first show!) But yet again, the show was super fun! It lasted Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So we went out to eat Friday and Saturday night looking like freaks in our Breeches and smelling like horse. =-D. So, here are some pictures and a video of our riding; critic if you want!

HorseLoverHunter 10-29-2011 06:03 PM

Anybody?

With Grace 10-29-2011 07:12 PM

Sorry, I can't critique as I dont jump (or havent in 20 years) but just wanted to tell you the last picture of you with your horse is adorable - your smile says it all! Congrats on your first show!

jumpingrules92 10-29-2011 07:23 PM

Your horse was kinda all over the place, seemed like she rushed a few... and you didnt really nail any of your distances, not to mind your eq wasn't fantastic! Also noticed your horse didn't get some of the leads.

However..for your FIRST show, that was great! No body can do it all at their first show so as long as you felt you did your personal best thats ALL that counts! :)

So happy you were so happy! I remember my first show like it was yesterday :D

Your horse is very cute.

anrz 10-29-2011 07:59 PM

Congratulations :). You look great, especially for your first show! It's okay that you didn't place, as long as you were happy with how you did, that's what matters :). I love your horse, she's very cute!

HorseLoverHunter 10-30-2011 12:17 PM

Thanks so much! I was just happy to get through the day without hurting myself! ;)

ErikaLynn 10-31-2011 10:15 AM

You have such a nice horse that knows his job and does it well, he seems like the perfect horse to learn on. As for you, your position is good just a couple things, I think you should shorten your reins a little and carry your hands. In some parts you drop your hands and kind of try to keep your balance on the horses mouth..instead if you feel like you are losing your balance, grab the horses mane. Also you are missing your distances because you are jumping ahead of your horse. Try to sit and wait until you feel your horses front feet leave the ground...then get into your 2-point.

I think your problem is you are not strong enough in your legs and you don't have the balance yet. All you need to do is ride without stirrups to build your muscles, also practice your 2-point every single time you ride.

You did great for your first show, you'll just keep getting better.

HorseLoverHunter 10-31-2011 12:34 PM

Thanks! And, my trainer looked at the pictures from the show the photographer took and noticed we we ALL doing that! So, she is going to make us go bareback for a month to fix all our little things! ;) Scared but excited! I am a master at falling! =)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 11-02-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpingrules92 (Post 1216094)
However..for your FIRST show, that was great! No body can do it all at their first show so as long as you felt you did your personal best thats ALL that counts! :)

I was probably 8 ish when I started jumping off the farm at shows, and during my first season, the pony I rode would refuse every single jump! I got DQ'd too many times to count! But halfway through the season, something clicked and we quit stopping and started winning! (it wasn't the pony's fault, obviously. He is to this day, the best little kid's pony anyone could dream for xD) but anyway, my first time showing o/f wasn't NEARLY as successful as your's. Good job :)

MudPaint 11-03-2011 08:58 AM

Congrats on your first show.

Like Erika said, and your coach noticed, you really need to shorten your reins. You don't want to be bringing your elbows behind your back to steer and stop. It was causing you to stand up and tip forward. Probably why you didn't pin higher in the EQ class.

Your horse is lovely... such a good match for you! And you two are so nicely turned out. If you want to turn up the polish a bit more, tuck in that strap on your helmet and wear jodstraps to pull it all together.

Good luck!