The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pony foal with very this and soft ligaments (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pony-foal-very-soft-ligaments-101942/)

TheDonut 10-30-2011 06:05 AM

Pony foal with very this and soft ligaments

1 Attachment(s)
First off all..Hello! I have a pony foal (4 months old) with very soft and thin ligaments. He was born with this problem and now it is in my care. The problem is with his front legs from the knees to the hoof.His feet are very very soft and he cannot stay normaly with them...he has the position of a seal. Is there anyone that ever seen something like this until now? I have some pictures with him and will post them so you cand see the problem.Thank you very much and hope to receive an answer. For any details..because i dont know how to describe better the problem..please ask me!

blue eyed pony 10-30-2011 06:15 AM

Those feet are WAY too long, he needs a farrier urgently.

As to the problem of the fetlocks being on the ground I think the only way it can be fixed is with surgery and/or extensive splinting. You will need to strengthen those tendons too. All in all it's vet care that will cost a lot of money and probably be very uncomfortable for the pony. And with no guarantees.

...sorry!

Cherie 10-30-2011 07:43 AM

This is not real unusual for a mini. It seems that all of that inbreeding that has been done to get them smaller and smaller has created some real problem like deformed faces, mouths and legs.

When they are as severe as yours is and are already older (than a newborn), it is very difficult too do anything positive with it. The joints are now also deformed and the tendons and ligaments have be even more damaged than they were at birth. You can try splinting, and by all means, get the feet shortened. Most of these little guys just get put down because there is no good solution and any real solution would cost several thousand dollars and would still not be guaranteed to work. If you had the money and wanted to spend $10,000.00 on this poor little guy, the outcome would probably be the same.

I am so sorry that I cannot offer a better solution.

TheDonut 10-30-2011 03:18 PM

Hy again. the farrier just came 2 days ago and shorted the hoof. at the time this picture was taken he was only 2 month and a half and he couldnt short the hoof because he was to young. now he has the feet in fiberglass boots and he is walking and canter..and even buck after me when i want to get him in the stable. he already has a month with this boots...and we changed them 3 days ago. i can say that the ligamnets looks a little better..i mean the feet is not so soft like rhey werewhen he came at the shelter...where he lives now..because he doesnt have a mother.she died almost 2 months ago.some doctor here are saying that he might have a chance with this boots or..msaybe surgery when he will grow up..because is to soon to pronounce a definetly decision. i will post more pictures with him..how he was when he came in at the shelter and how he looks now...with the boots

Fatty Lumpkin 10-30-2011 03:33 PM

This is just me, and you'll think I am the most dreadful person, but if I had a foal born like that I am afraid I'd have it put to sleep.

But that's just my take on it. I am happy that he is improving, you must be very dedicated to him.

TheDonut 10-30-2011 04:35 PM

Yes, I am very dedicated to him and also he is to me...we just make a very good pair of friends :) ..and I can see him fighting to live and doing many things to prove that. Few days ago he was cantering and fell on the ground...i was running to him..he jumped in 4 feet...looked at me..and when he saw me coming...just started again to canter...When he hears my voice he is talking to me...and if i cant go to see him one day...he is very sad and doesnt accept milk from anyone else...until he sees me...i love him to much and i want to do everything i can to help him...even if i know that he wont be a normal pony..i just want him to live and be as healthy as he can...even if he is not going to run wild on the field...is ok if he can get to his food and the bucket of water...i hope i am not selfish..but like i was saying...i can see him everyday how he wants to live ...and that he fights ...

Allison Finch 10-30-2011 04:56 PM

I would LOVE to see more photos of the little guy.

TheDonut 10-30-2011 05:26 PM

I made a facebook page for him...until i found out how to post pictures without making a new thread..i can post the link to his page

Gogosica( the Donut) | Facebook

TheDonut 10-30-2011 05:32 PM

Pony foal

1 Attachment(s)
The little pony foal

TheDonut 10-30-2011 05:37 PM

first days

1 Attachment(s)
the moment he camed at the shelter