The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Grooming tips and tricks! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grooming-tips-tricks-101980/)

TooHotToTrot 10-30-2011 02:58 PM

Grooming tips and tricks!

I felt like starting a thread about grooming!

First, what are somethings in your grooming kit you can't live without and why?

Second, what are some all natural things to replace flyspray, make your horse shiney, whiten white places, ect.

What is your process when grooming?
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 10-30-2011 11:04 PM

I have a great tip for dusty horses! Take some type of coat shiner, I recommend Vetroline Shine, and spray some onto a body brush (also called soft brush) and brush them with that! It really helps get off the dirt. Using water works ok, but not too great. I have just about everything in my grooming kit! I cannot live without my finishing brush, fabulous for dusty horses, and my curry comb, the only thing that REALLY gets out the sweat marks and dirt. For flyspray, I recommend mixing half Apple Cider Vinegar and half water. It repells flys ok when applied 1x a day, but I recommend spritzing on your pony 2-3x per day for ultimate protection! It is also makes their coats shiny and soft, great conditioner for after baths for the coat. After I tie up my pony if I am going fast, I hoofpick, curry, main dandy brush, and body brush. More often I will hoofpick, curry, main dandy brush, soft dandy brush, body brush, and finishing brush. 1-2x a week I will brush out her mane and tail with a comb and use Cowboy Magic detangaler so I dont rip out all her hair :-)

Saddlebag 10-30-2011 11:49 PM

Give them sand to roll in. That will make them shine.

Gallop On 11-01-2011 10:38 PM

Ahh, I've heard from so many people to not brush out your horses mane or tail more than necessary, although I don't get why... My little boy has one of the thickest manes, and I brush it out every time I groom... :\

Anyhow, I cant live without my body brush. I use it for the mane, the tail, and of course, the body. :D It removes all his dirt, and makes him shine :D Also, a squirt bottle full of pure water. Its soo handy when it comes time to braid, or get dirt than wont brush off.

After I tie up my boy I hard brush him, soft brush him, curry all the sweat/dirt marks, hard brush again, soft brush again, pick his hooves, bot knife his legs, brush his mane and tail, apply polos (If Ima ride) and then use a shedding blade to get off any excess hair, and spray with fly spray.

After the winter, when its shedding season again, I bust out my FAVORITE tool of all, my "Slick n' Easy" stone. It works magic removing all of his winter hair.

sarahkgamble 11-08-2011 03:36 PM

I love these suggestions & will definitely start using them! :)

As for me, I curry my boy first, hard brush, soft brush, brush his mane and tail, spray with fly spray, then pick his hooves before tacking up.

I recommend fly spraying BEFORE picking hooves because horses tend to stomp away flies and it is rather difficult to pick a horse's hooves while he's trying to get rid of annoying flies. :)