The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay colt shedding black?!

11K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  PVPH 
#1 ·
My colt Tino was born bay but now he is developing some patches of black around his face, rump, back, well ok basically all over xD and I thought he was going to turn grey but maybe not???? he is a little more than a month old now. The mom is seal brown/black bay whatever you may call it (black but has some light brown points around muzzle or flank when in the sun for too long) but the sire is grey (andalusian) is this normal? Or will he stay bay? What do you think? I will try to get pictures of him shedding if you need them, but here are some when he is only between a day or week old. In the last picture you can see some of his dorsal stripe and white hair in his tail I actually really hope he is the momma's color! :D

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Darn :/ I thought that maybe he wasn't going to grey, since isn't the new coat that appears underneath the old baby coat the color that the foal ends up being? I mean I figured if he was going to grey he would show more signs sooner like the grey around the eyes and legs ect. instead of the new appearing black hair the only grey he has is that tail which he has had ever since he was born :/ oh well greys are pretty I just wish they wouldn't be such a pain to keep clean! ;) lol thanks

#7 ·
He will change color, but who knows how much. He really looks like he's graying but that's always interesting to watch ;)

#9 ·
If the one gray parent is homozygous (carries 2 copies of the gene) for gray, then yes, there is 100% chance of a gray foal. However, if the gray parent is heterozygous (only carries one copy of the gene), then there is a 50% chance of a gray foal.

I agree with Bubba that he will turn gray. What really gave it away to me is the skunk-tail look he's already getting with the whiter hairs around his dock, plus the silvery look of his legs.

#10 ·
First photo is my colt Zane, when he was born. He didn't have a white hair on him (except for his markings). But he is turning gray. He started getting white hairs when his baby coat shed (which was also very dark, dark bay). Looking back in it, he also appeared to have a little frosting in his tail. But none of the white around the eyes and face you always hear about.

So yeah, I bet your foal is a gray too. Like Smrobs said, the silvery legs are kind of a give-away. :)

Here is a comparison for you. First foal is a gray, second foal is a bay.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.