The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Back to riding, don't hold back! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/back-riding-dont-hold-back-102007/)

Underfire05 10-30-2011 08:41 PM

Back to riding, don't hold back!

Alright everyone, let's have at it! A little background on me. I rode a lot for many years but it was always on Saddlebreds and Morgans. I showed saddleseat for years and then had way too many health issues to continue to be able to ride or enjoy it. I have just recently starting riding again this past month. I am starting at a hunter/jumper barn (so totally out of my element lol) Would love to hear critiques about my riding in general and any advice you may have. I know there are a few things i have to work on. This is only my 3rd time riding this horse also so we are still "learning" each other. You can also have a giggle at my first "jump" at the end ;)

Don't hold back!

equinesalways 10-30-2011 09:00 PM

You're making the transition from saddleseat to h/j seamlessly!

tinyliny 10-30-2011 10:10 PM

Looking really good. Just rotart hands to keep thumbs on top (looking at times a bit puppy pawish)

MyBoyPuck 11-01-2011 07:04 PM

Let's see. Lower leg is quiet, body is supple and relaxed. Shoulders are open, back is flat, arms are following motion nicely. Basically I'm jealous of your short transition to H/J riding!! You look great. Tiny already caught the puppy dog paws.

Underfire05 11-02-2011 11:11 PM

Thank you everyone! I haven't ridden consistently other than an occasional ride every 6 months or so in almost 2 years, so that is nice to hear :) I am definitely rediscovering muscles I didn't know I had lol.

Anything else you feel I could work on?

LynnF 11-03-2011 10:36 AM

I really noticed your hand being low and wide as well as rotated with your palm down. Turn your hands so that your thumbs are on top and bring your hands up and together just a bit. Your lower leg looks great and your back is flat and straight which I love. Your hips and core look nice and supple allowing you to really move with your horse. I am very impressed considering you are making a transition into hunters. Well done.

apucke3 11-03-2011 10:53 AM

You look really good! Just a few little things... keep your chin up, raise your hands a little bit, shoulders back, and make sure your thumbs are facing up. Good luck!

palmettogirl915 11-03-2011 05:24 PM

ok... I don't want to get yelled at for saying this... :-( but you might want to check the fit of your saddle. I think it's too small for you. I don't know about other people, but I was always told the rule of thumb was that you should have three to four fingers width behind your butt and the top of the cantle.

Otherwise, you look good for just getting started. Thumbs up, hands up and a little closer together. Your leg and back look good and supportive though. :D

wafflestheunicorn 11-03-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmettogirl915 (Post 1221494)
ok... I don't want to get yelled at for saying this... :-( but you might want to check the fit of your saddle. I think it's too small for you. I don't know about other people, but I was always told the rule of thumb was that you should have three to four fingers width behind your butt and the top of the cantle.

Otherwise, you look good for just getting started. Thumbs up, hands up and a little closer together. Your leg and back look good and supportive though. :D

i was just about to post the same thing:D i toatally agree. tons of people have this problem! your position will improve with a bigger saddle. i don't know if you own it but maybe ask about others that you can ride in that are a little larger. to learn to keep your thumb up. ride holding your whip under your thumbs. or thing about holding two cups of hot coacoa! :lol:

Underfire05 11-03-2011 07:13 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah, the saddle isn't mine so it is on the small side. I am currently working on getting my own saddle that will fit me better so for now I am using one of the barn ones. I have short legs so this one fits better than the other one that they had available where my knees didn't even come near the padding up front lol. I did notice my hands in the video too...I am so used to doing the Morgan/Saddlebred eq version of hunter where we have the tops of our hands facing up. I will have to watch that, thanks!!

It's been an interesting change but I love it so far!