The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   *New* Trotting Poles video (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/%2Anew%2A-trotting-poles-video-102011/)

QHriderKE 10-30-2011 09:21 PM

*New* Trotting Poles video

Please Critique :)

QHriderKE 11-01-2011 10:07 PM

Bump? Anyone...?

tinyliny 11-01-2011 10:31 PM

Well, it appeared that she went over those pretty hollowed out. More so than the last time you videoed. Perhaps you need to raise them up a little bit and make her have to be more mentally present and thinkiing about them. Real cavaletting are about 6 inches to a 10 inches or so off the ground, maybe more. The horse may need to look down and see where it's going more.

The eventual idea with doing this is to encourage her to lift her feet up and over and to round up in her back, too. I think this will not be possible with her nose in the air . I think for now, it's ok to just have her go over, but at some point you would want to encourage her to reach down and forward a little bit more.

QHriderKE 11-01-2011 10:53 PM

Yeah, I noticed her head went up a lot... I think it was because of her last few rides... I haven't cared about her headset. I havent had TIME to care about her headset and rounding out her back... She did it herself a few times though, so I can't really complain. She also just learned that a "hand gallop" is her new favorite thing, so now she's at the point where going fast is the bestest. Stupid cows. :/

So when we went back in the pen, she got grumpy at me because I wanted her to slooooow down and get her head out of the air... Plus she was having a HOT day. (note her madly chomping on the bit in the second clip...)

tinyliny 11-01-2011 11:01 PM

I always think that with young horses, forward trumps headset anyday. Good that she is so forward thinking and has so much go. You can slow and sculpt it little by little.

By raising at least one of those poles, she may have to look at it and think about goin over it, which may encourage her to look down at it.

LynnF 11-02-2011 09:52 AM

It looked like she was quite crooked going over them the first time but you corrected that the next time around which is really good. I agree with Tiny it is important that she is moving forward and going over the poles and you can work on bringing her head down gradually. Start by only asking her for a few steps and then give her her head again then ask for a few more. It is hard for them to keep their head down all the time until they build up the muscles to do so and it will cause more of a fight to force it down for long periods of time before she has the muscles to keep it there so work up to it slowly. She is a great looking mare and just have fun with her!

Allison Finch 11-02-2011 09:57 AM

OK, I need some background here. I don't know what you are trying to achieve. I am new to your situation, so how about a little history lesson?

QHriderKE 11-02-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1219887)
OK, I need some background here. I don't know what you are trying to achieve. I am new to your situation, so how about a little history lesson?

Ahem. Here it goes:

July 2009:
My dad traded a parts baler for two untouched yearlings. They were never EVER handled or even attempted to be handled by anyone until we got them. They were loaded into the trailer like cattle... We roped them and get them haltered and kept a 2-3 foot long "lead" in the halter for catching purposes. The dun turned out to be mine because I was the only one of us that had patience enough to catch her the first few weeks. After they were halterbroke, we left them until late spring 2010.

2010:
Considering these two horses were really big and strong by Spring, we decided to get some light rides in the roundpen. I was super excited to be able to break my first horse, so I went about everything carefully and calmly, did some free lunging with her in the roundpen before I would ride her, and got on and worked on the basic cues. In the middle of May, she blew up and bucked me off, and broke my arm, so she was left until late November save a couple light rides over to summer. In November, I did one cattle drive with her.

2011:
I took her to brandings and worked cows off of her at home in the Spring, and about 4-5 days a week in the Summer, worked on a lot of bending and such with her in my "riding" pen. Later in the summer, I decided to get her collected up, so we worked on that in the pen. I took her to a roping in August and chased a few steers down the arena from both the heading and heeling box, and to finish off the day, I heeled and held a steer on her and she did exceptionally well. I've done a lot of good solid rides on her this fall, including about 3 cattle chases, (one across a ferry!) 1 gong-show pasture sort... that was the one day when I reeeeeally had to push her to do what she didn't have to before, and I sorted cows on her last week when we had to sell calves.

My goals with her are leaning more and more towards the barrel racing side of things, because she is really light in the mouth and with leg cues and she is proving to be really fast as well. My inital goal with her was to make her into a heading horse, but if she barrel races, heading will come into the equation as well. I also think she would make a wonderful cross country horse, she loves jumping!!! She jumps bushes and such with ease, and I'm not asking her too, most of the time I'm too worried about a cow and just expect her to plow through it, then I find myself tossed into a sloppy two-point, in a western saddle. But, sadly, I do not know of anywhere within a 2 hour drive that I would have to opportunity to learn anything about jumping and such.

tinyliny 11-02-2011 10:06 PM

Wow, you've done a lot with this horse.

QHriderKE 11-02-2011 10:17 PM

Yeah... She's the first horse I got to break and train from day one, so I'm reeeeeally proud of her, even though she has some faults. ah well.