The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse stuck on back... how often does this happen? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-stuck-back-how-often-does-102025/)

THN 10-31-2011 01:44 AM

Horse stuck on back... how often does this happen?

So, i was prowling Youtube and came across this vid and thought it was very funny. Still do, but i realize the seriousness of the situation. Horses can DIE pulling stunts like this! So, how common is it for a horse to go all awkward turtle like this?

loosie 10-31-2011 04:02 AM

Never heard of it happening at all, in abscence of a fence or wall to get 'cast' against. Did he get tangled in his rug or something? Otherwise I'd guess he's got bodgy hips or some such.

THN 10-31-2011 09:19 AM

I don't know how he got there exactly. My guess is that he went to roll and created a divot in the snow that didn't allow him to roll back over. like making a snow angel and sinking in and getting stuck. The reason i ask is because my haflinger would so do this.

Taffy Clayton 10-31-2011 10:30 AM

I found nothing the least bit funny about that video!!!

lilkitty90 10-31-2011 10:39 AM

it is kind of funny because it reminds me of my moms fat horse who when rolling in the grass sometimes gets stuck on her back and has to wiggle around to completely roll over. i see nothing to serious with getting stuck in MY case. but in that horses case, yes being stuck like that in the snow on its back can be pretty bad if there for more then i'd say an hour or 2

THN 10-31-2011 10:42 AM

It is one of those second reactions for me. first comes "Oh no, not good, horse can suffocate." but ones it's all said and done i find the whole thing to be a little comical. I find that things can be very serious and very humorous at the same time. Had the horse died and nobody bothered to find him when he didn't come in and wasn't discovered till the spring and only because of that god awful smell that comes wafting across the property it would lose a lot of the humor. but nobody was seriously injured and everyone is fine.

i don't even know why i am typing this because what do i need to justify...

kait18 10-31-2011 10:54 AM

i thought it was comical... same as you did no one got hurt so = funny in my book :)
but i agree a few hours like that will def hurt them..very lucky they found him and shoveled him out... :)