The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Equidae (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/equidae-102029/)

jumpingrules92 10-31-2011 03:17 AM

Equidae

How many of you have heard of this or actually feed it?

We just picked up a few bags today and i've heard great things about it, but wondering if any of you have any experience/stories.. especially the more performance based riders on here.

For those of you who haven't heard of it:

Equidae® Horse Feed - Welcome to Equidae® Horse Feed

caseymyhorserocks 11-01-2011 09:11 PM

Sorry no help here :-) But it looks like a great feed! I love how it has all these different feed in it, hay, beet pulp, oats, rice bran, vitamins, etc. Tell us how it turns out!

TwistedWire 11-02-2011 07:22 PM

The part that bothers me is that I can't figure out what category of feed to put it in. Is it a Ration Balancer? One of my wholesalers (I run a feed store) told me it's a "Complete" feed that you feed "two pounds" a day of. Instantly I disagree with that because a complete feed would be fed at TWENTY pounds a day because a COMPLETE feed is all the horse would eat.

From the feed label, it doesn't look like a balancer. Being extruded, I wonder if that is why they sell it in a 40 pound bag instead of a 50...that would drive me crazy having to open that many more bags of feed. :)

caseymyhorserocks 11-02-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedWire (Post 1220443)
The part that bothers me is that I can't figure out what category of feed to put it in. Is it a Ration Balancer? One of my wholesalers (I run a feed store) told me it's a "Complete" feed that you feed "two pounds" a day of. Instantly I disagree with that because a complete feed would be fed at TWENTY pounds a day because a COMPLETE feed is all the horse would eat.

From the feed label, it doesn't look like a balancer. Being extruded, I wonder if that is why they sell it in a 40 pound bag instead of a 50...that would drive me crazy having to open that many more bags of feed. :)

I just did the feed calculator thing for my horse, coastal plus, and she weighs 900 lbs, and it said to feed 4.50 lbs of their grain, and 9.00 lbs of regular hay, and she is in moderate work. For the alfalfa it said 4.50 lb of grain and 9.00 lb of hay. . . So apparently it is not meant to be feed as a complete feed. It is a GRAIN with some forage provided. They are calling it a extruded grain, which is supposed to make it more digestable.

TwistedWire 11-02-2011 07:34 PM

Wow...that's only a total of 13.5 pound of total feed a day. If she were to eat 2% daily, she would need 18.

I'm thinking that company needs to stick to dog food.

(Oh, and when I read the label after the feed rep left, I knew he was on crack for telling me "Two" pounds a day. )

jumpingrules92 11-02-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedWire (Post 1220458)
Wow...that's only a total of 13.5 pound of total feed a day. If she were to eat 2% daily, she would need 18.

I'm thinking that company needs to stick to dog food.

(Oh, and when I read the label after the feed rep left, I knew he was on crack for telling me "Two" pounds a day. )

I have no idea, feed is not my expertise. I was hoping someone could help me. I have heard WONDERFUL things about it.. I know a person who does use it as a complete feed and I know people who just supplement with it. I guess it just depends on your needs?

2SCHorses 11-04-2011 11:04 AM

Okay, this interested me so I sent the following email to Equidae:

Do I need to feed a multi vitamin with Equidae?
> Does it have Biotin and Methionine for hooves? Does it contain probiotics?
>
> Is it a ration balancer?
>
> I am thinking about feeding Equidae, but I want something that is complete nutrition, like a ration balancer that contains all the vitamins and minerals a horse needs daily.

REPLY:
Hello! Thank you for the questions.

> No supplementation (besides a joint/flex) are recommended...it is a balanced ration with all necessary vitamins, minerals, PRE and probiotics,(200,000,000/lb) biotin, zinc, methionine... All included.
> We use only the best sources as well... Chelates not standard minerals. So yes basically it is a ration balancer/grain alternative. It is a forage based feed as well that is safe and healthy for all classes and disciplines.

TwistedWire 11-04-2011 11:12 AM

That still doesn't satisfy my answer :-/

Purina will tell you that Strategy doesn't need supplementation-however you have to feed XX amount of pounds as compared to a ration balancer that has the same amount of core nutrients in 1 pound.

Do I think it sounds like a good feed? Sure...however, I don't know the starch level, and I'm not happy having to feed that many pounds of feed...especially if it's not low starch. (Low to me is less than 20%).

Also, the figures given in that feeding calculator above really concerns me.

2SCHorses 11-04-2011 05:52 PM

No, it wasn't that satisfying, but I just wanted to post what I was emailed - I just wanted to know if they considered it a ration balancer or grain or a complete feed. Apparently, it is more like a ration balancer, but more "ration" for the "balance"! It does seem expensive to me as a ration balancer, too. I only pay 22 per 40 lb bag of RB here in upstate SC.

(I only feed 1 lb of Seminole Equalizer mixed with Optizyme top dressing for my Hard Keeper with his hay, beet pulp and rice bran and for my fat pony, we only do SmartPak EZ keeper grass w/Animed Remission top dressing and hay - we don't feed her the Seminole because she doesn't need any extra calories in any form, even a low starch feed like Equalizer).

But that is not to say it is not a good food probably for a horse that does a lot more work than my trail troopers. I only sent the email because I was curious to see what kind of feed it is considered. It just seemed so nebulous on the website.

jumpingrules92 11-05-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SCHorses (Post 1222478)
No, it wasn't that satisfying, but I just wanted to post what I was emailed - I just wanted to know if they considered it a ration balancer or grain or a complete feed. Apparently, it is more like a ration balancer, but more "ration" for the "balance"! It does seem expensive to me as a ration balancer, too. I only pay 22 per 40 lb bag of RB here in upstate SC.

I believe it is a ration balancer- just due to the high protein content, amino acids and the ingredients. It did seem weird that it came in a 40lb pound and not a 50..like the others do- but whatever. The lady at the feed store told me to feed 2.5 lbs...I think im going to stick with 1.5/2 just because...I think that seems more fitting for what it is.