The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How long do they stay groggy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-long-do-they-stay-groggy-102033/)

cebee 10-31-2011 06:12 AM

How long do they stay groggy?

Having our horses teeth floated and sheaths done tomorrow... and the vet our barn uses sedates the horses for both. ANy idea how long they will stay groggy afterwards? My daughter wants to give a lesson later in the day, but doesnt want to do it if her horse is still mushy-headed. Likewise I am hoping to ride, since I took the day off to be there... Also, since the horses are out in the pasture all day, will it be ok to just put em back out or should we put them in their stalls till they are not groggy, or should they be fine to just let back out?
Where we boarded before, the dentist did not sedate- so this is new to me!

ItzKayley 10-31-2011 06:57 AM

It depends on how strong the sedate is.
Posted via Mobile Device

natisha 10-31-2011 11:01 AM

Personally any horse sedated gets the day off. I let them recover in individual stalls without food. Each can have different reactions & it is is not unheard of that some horses may attack a groggy horse. Also some can get real sweaty & may need a cooler or time to dry off if it's chilly outside.
Most appear fully alert & awake within an hour though.

mls 10-31-2011 11:03 AM

The vet will advise but most horses are 100% within a hour.

Wallaby 10-31-2011 11:30 AM

When my mare was sedated to get her teeth done, it took her around 2.5 hours to really be "awake". She was still mildly groggy an hour after the vet left.
However, she had some pretty heavy sedation, like she was out to the point where any more sedative and she woulda been on the ground. That was just because she was still way too sassy with the normal sedative (which she got A LOT of) so the vet came back and gave her some really strong junk. haha
So, I'd imagine that if your horses aren't crazy and don't need to be sedated up the wazoo, they'll probably come out of it much faster. :)

dee 10-31-2011 02:17 PM

When we had our stallions gelded, they were awake enough after an hour or so to load back in the trailer and bring home. We turned them out into a separate pen (they were father and son, and got along just fine) just to make sure they weren't picked on and were eating and drinking okay. After that - it was business as usual...