The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Teaching a horse to stand while mounting/tied? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/teaching-horse-stand-while-mounting-tied-102052/)

Blondehorselover 10-31-2011 12:15 PM

Teaching a horse to stand while mounting/tied?

My guy loves to move around. I don't know if it's because he just moved to a new stable and wants to be with the other horses so bad (he's in quarantine right now) or if it's just him. I've only had him about a week so I'm just learning his little "quirks". He likes to move around quite a bit when he's tied for grooming/saddling, and he also moves forward whenever I try to tighten the cinch/mounting....any ideas how to stop him of this?

horseloverd2 10-31-2011 03:42 PM

This is usually an easy fix. You need to lunge him when he starts moving.

When he starts to fidget when you're mounting, grooming, cinching, whatever, send him out on a short lunge line and make him work HARD for a few seconds to a minute. Bring him back and try whatever you were doing again. If he moves his feet, send him back out. Keep doing this until he learns to keep his feet still. It may take him 2 times to figure it out, it may take him 20 times. But he will get it eventually. Be consistent as well - he may understand it one day and forget it the next. I did this with my mare and now she never fidgets. They quickly learn that standing still is much easier and will gladly mind their manners.

Some people lead their horse around in circles three times when they do it, but really you'd be the one working, not the horse, and it isn't nearly as effective.

Best of luck :D Keep us updated on his progress.

caseymyhorserocks 10-31-2011 06:42 PM

Agreed horselover. Make him move way more than he wants to when he figets when mounting and tying. Also, since he is in quarantine, I am assuming he does not have a lot of room to move, so he may just have energy, and I would recommend lunging him for about oh maybe, 20 minutes a day, just so he can move a bit. Good luck with the new horse and welcome to the forum ;-)

tinyliny 10-31-2011 10:00 PM

It is true that he very well may settle a lot once he is allowed in with the herd. Horses that come to our barn are always really jumpy when they are seperated from the herd, in a new place and all. They're emotionally stressed and may not show the most normal behavior.
YOu can certainly use the methods above and probably get success. I only meant to reassure you that the horse will probably calm some with time.