The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Training foals (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/training-foals-102087/)

Barrels4Lyfe 10-31-2011 05:56 PM

Training foals

So I am 13, I am hopefully (praying I do) getting Nita, a 7 month old QH filly soon. She is perfect for me. My dad just has to get me over there to get her lol. I am thinking if she turns out good that I will start training for the public. What do you guys think?

smrobs 10-31-2011 06:09 PM

I think, with you being as young as you are, your time would be much better served taking lessons from a good trainer and eventually working under a good trainer as an apprentice. That way when you run into something that you don't know how to handle (and you will), you'll have someone much more experienced right there to help you and show you what to do to get the best results with minimal risk to either you or the horse.

Then, in a few years, if you decide that's still what you want to do and if you have a knack for it, you may be able to put your own shingle out for the public.

Barrels4Lyfe 10-31-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1217989)
I think, with you being as young as you are, your time would be much better served taking lessons from a good trainer and eventually working under a good trainer as an apprentice. That way when you run into something that you don't know how to handle (and you will), you'll have someone much more experienced right there to help you and show you what to do to get the best results with minimal risk to either you or the horse.

Then, in a few years, if you decide that's still what you want to do and if you have a knack for it, you may be able to put your own shingle out for the public.

Alright, well I would have help from a bunch of my friends if I needed it. But it will be 2 1/2 years or so before I would have Nita finished so I might just wait to see how she turns out. I have already trained a green horse for barrels and shes the one I show now. So I might just start that at first (training horses for discliplines I do) because to me its easier then fully training a horse if you know what your doing. Then I would eventually get into fully training other peoples horses.

Kayty 10-31-2011 07:24 PM

With all your good intentions, which are great that you have a goal, you need to be aware that due to your age, you will have some trouble finding clients, even if you DO have the skill to break a horse. There are plenty of experienced breakers/trainers that have been in the business for more than double your time on earth, with a wealth of experience in working with various horses. Unfortunately training a foal and a couple of green horses doesn't make you a professional trainer - to become known in the horse world as a reputable trainer, you will need to train and break numerous horses before you'll even get a look in. All horses are different, and you might be lucky with the foal and have a very quiet, trainable one. But if a client sends you something that is genuinely dangerous and a very big challenge, you will lack the experience to deal with it.

I would advise that you keep honing and building on your skills, work with multiple horses, spend as much time as you can with reputable trainers and when you've got that experience, start offering your services. And I'm talking years - like when you're in your 20's.

Ray MacDonald 10-31-2011 07:53 PM

I don't understand how that filly will be finished in 2 1/2 years... but aren't going to fully train her?? Like skip the basics and go straight to barrels?

trailhorserider 10-31-2011 10:44 PM

Maybe you're very gifted in horses. You very well could be. :-)

But I am 34 and raising my first foal and it is so much harder than I ever thought it would be! I have ridden for 17 years and I still can't get my foal the way I want him. So I dunno. I pray your baby turns out just the way you want her. But I don't think you are ready to hang out a shingle yet. Give it a few years (and a few more horses) and then you may be ready.

Best of luck and I hope you have a blast with your foal. :-)

kevinshorses 10-31-2011 10:49 PM

You've got a long long ways to go before you're ready to take someones money for training a horse. Smrobs gave very good advice, you should take it.

Barrels4Lyfe 10-31-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1218058)
With all your good intentions, which are great that you have a goal, you need to be aware that due to your age, you will have some trouble finding clients, even if you DO have the skill to break a horse. There are plenty of experienced breakers/trainers that have been in the business for more than double your time on earth, with a wealth of experience in working with various horses. Unfortunately training a foal and a couple of green horses doesn't make you a professional trainer - to become known in the horse world as a reputable trainer, you will need to train and break numerous horses before you'll even get a look in. All horses are different, and you might be lucky with the foal and have a very quiet, trainable one. But if a client sends you something that is genuinely dangerous and a very big challenge, you will lack the experience to deal with it.

I would advise that you keep honing and building on your skills, work with multiple horses, spend as much time as you can with reputable trainers and when you've got that experience, start offering your services. And I'm talking years - like when you're in your 20's.

Yeah, I love working with hard horses but I've never done it from the start with breaking them, so I understand what your saying.
Alright, I think thats what will end up happening anyways lol.
I am helping my friend who trains horses with a bunch of his Welsh ponies because he needs alot trained and I will help him for free. And also my "riding coach" (my dads friend) who trains horses and teaches me will also help me learn the tricks of the trade.

Barrels4Lyfe 10-31-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 1218091)
I don't understand how that filly will be finished in 2 1/2 years... but aren't going to fully train her?? Like skip the basics and go straight to barrels?

No, I mean Im hoping to be starting her under the saddle around 3, because I don't like to start at 2 especially with Nitas bone structure right now even. And then I will have more time to do other things because I won't be training her like you have to work with a young (6 months-2 years) horse. If that even made sense lol.

Barrels4Lyfe 10-31-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhorserider (Post 1218303)
Maybe you're very gifted in horses. You very well could be. :-)

But I am 34 and raising my first foal and it is so much harder than I ever thought it would be! I have ridden for 17 years and I still can't get my foal the way I want him. So I dunno. I pray your baby turns out just the way you want her. But I don't think you are ready to hang out a shingle yet. Give it a few years (and a few more horses) and then you may be ready.

Best of luck and I hope you have a blast with your foal. :-)

Thanks! I am hoping to go see/pick her up within the next 2 weeks if I can. I might end up paying my friend $100 extra to keep her for me. I am starting from the very beginning with her, she is 7 months and barely has had any work done with her except for halter and trailer training. I like to just get a bond with the horse first then it will want to listen and obey me more.