The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What size horse do you ride??? Poll

14K views 142 replies 129 participants last post by  Tonipony 
#1 ·
I've been curious lately about horses and their riders size. I'm 5'8" and my boy has the QH type build with the elegance of the Morgan (those are his breeds) and he is 15.2 hh I ride western, just pleasure and trail riding. I'm curious to everyone elses pairings. So how tall are you and how tall is your horse? :-D Also what's your disipline?
Posted via Mobile Device

#58 ·
5'3 and 158 pounds. The lesson horses I ride are between 15.2 and 16.2hh. I mostly ride a 15.2 OTTB and he's one of my favourites. I ride dressage and never jump due to a knee injury. I prefer the bigger horses even though it's a bit of a challenge to get up there :P

#59 ·
im 5'2.5" and 115lbs, i own and ride a 14.3hh horse and a 16hh horse, i feel very comfortable on both of them.

#62 ·
I'm 5 foot 2 on a good day, and I ride primarily English/dressage. Scout is about 14.1 hands, medium built. I like those borderline horse/ponies; large pony size but more of a horse-type build and movement. :)

#64 ·
I'm 5ft 3 and will ride anything between 12.2hh and 18+hh altough I do prefer the 13.2hh to 15.2hh range.

Reeco is 15hh, Rian was 15hh, stan was 14hh, pride is 13.2hh.

I ride English, mainly showing and dressage.

#72 ·
I'm 5'5 and i ride a 15.3 hh QH.

it is all about how your mount fills out your legs. stockier/wider barreled horses can fill out taller rider legs (5'7 and over) and be 14.3 hh only (or shorter!).

a taller horse who is narrower through the barrel can fill out a shorter riders legs perfectly and be very tall (ex: Debbie Mcdonald and Brentina)

i know a rider who is like 5'9 and ride a typical sized Halfie! :) it all depends...

#73 ·
I totally agree. I've ridden a 16+ horse and felt absolutly ridiculious because he was a narrow TB build, while I feel fine on my 15.2 boy. So it does all depend. A friend I ride with is about 5'6" and she rides a 14.1 mare but she's a paint with a stocky wide build and she looks perfect on her.
Posted via Mobile Device

#75 ·
I'm 5'5" and ride a registered 16.1hh thoroughbred, however everyone thinks he is more towards 16.3, which would make sense since he was registered before he stopped growing.
We ride english, I school dressage at home and I compete showjumping only to a very low level at the moment

#76 ·
I'm 5'2'', 115lbs. I ride both Western and english but focus mainly on barrel racing and reined cowhorse.

Horses are:

Bailey - 14.2hh (Barrels, poles, speed things)
Selena - 13hh (Reining, cowhorse)
Jester - 14hh (Reining, cowhorse)
Rebel - 15.1hh (Three Day Eventing)
Ruger - 16hh (Cowhorse, Roping, Barrels)

#77 ·
I am 5'9 about 115 pounds and I ride western for drill team, and some english as well.
I like a bigger body taller horse myself, not that I need it, but I feel much less gangly looking on them :)
I have:
Miles - Arab gelding 15.1
Shiloh - Percheron TB cross mare at about 17.1 Havent measured her yet, but her withers are definitely over my head

#78 ·
My paint is 14.3hh and my arabian is 15hh. I am 5'5" and I ride western. We enjoy camping and trails. My yearling filly should be 15hh, her mom is my arabian mare and her daddy is a stout quarter horse. My mustang colt may mature at 14hh and have a stout build. I hope they like the trails too:)

#83 ·
I'm 5'4" and ride a 14.2 quarter horse. I didn't have much choice in the matter, since she was free :) We're a good fit, though, and I can (almost) indian mount her when I want to go bareback. I did ride a painted draft this summer for a couple of days, and though I don't remember her exact size, she was huge compared to my Sheena. I definitely enjoyed riding her, too, but needed a hand up into the saddle. I think I'll stick to horses I can mount unassisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.