The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Opinions on new Cytex shoe? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/opinions-new-cytex-shoe-102159/)

MoodIndigo 11-01-2011 10:50 AM

Opinions on new Cytex shoe?

(Oops. sorry spelled CyteK wrong.. *faceplam*)

What do you think?
Opinions?
If you want, tell me your discipline and tell me why you would/wouldn't use it.

kevinshorses 11-01-2011 01:57 PM

It sounds like a fine idea but I'm not educated enough to know if it will work how they say it will or not. The shoes have been around a while but I've never seen anyone actual use them. My concerns are that they they don't appear to be shapeable and they are quite costly if I remember correctly. As someone that shoes my own horses I am also leary of learning a whole "system" of shoeing.

loosie 11-01-2011 08:14 PM

Have no personal experience of these, but inclined to agree with Kevin about unshapability & also shoeing 'systems'. Apparently farriers must do a special cytek course to know how to apply the 'system', because a regular qualified farrier couldn't possibly do it properly with his current knowledge. There also appears to be very little info on the main sites for these and at least some apparent misinformation, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

kevinshorses 11-01-2011 08:19 PM

I'm glad you responded to this thread loosie. It just seems like to me that if the shoe has been around since 2006 and it did all that it claims to do then every farrier I know would be putting them on but I've never actually seen one on a horse. Also you would think there might be some video of a horse moving with the shoes on.

AmazinCaucasian 11-02-2011 07:30 PM

I think those are some sweet ass lookin' shoes. If I ever build a life-size robotic horse, I will definitely put those shoes on it

loosie 11-02-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 1220516)
I think those are some sweet ass lookin' shoes. If I ever build a life-size robotic horse, I will definitely put those shoes on it

Ha ha ha!

MoodIndigo 11-02-2011 08:40 PM

Hahah! Yeah guys - I just came across it and was like, whoa you don't see those often..

loosie 11-02-2011 08:49 PM

Nah, AC, check out these ones for your robotic horse... Fran Jurga`s Hoof Blog: News from Hoofcare & Lameness Journal: Dressage, Fuego-Style: It's What's Underneath That Counts as Euro Rocker Shoes Score for Spain

smrobs 11-02-2011 08:50 PM

Yep, like Kevin and loosie mentioned, the inability to shape them to the hoof is a huge problem. I also have the same issue with most of the plastic or polymer shoes on the market. Sure, it looks cool to have bright orange or royal blue shoes on your horse, but they just aren't practical because they likely won't fit the horse's foot. To me, that is no different than a person who just pulls the regular shoe out of the box, whacks off the extra hoof, slaps the iron on, and rasps off everything that hangs over the edge, with no regard for the proper shape of the hoof.

My brother is a farrier and he says that once in a blue moon, you will come across a horse that will wear a shoe just as they come out of the box, but they are very few and very far between.

ridergirl23 11-02-2011 08:51 PM

Definitely interesting! My horse isn't having any problems with her feet (knock on wood) So i probably wouldn't use them... I agree with kevin, It seems weird that they're not shape-able? Do they come in sizes? Because no two horses i know have the same shape of hooves at all....