The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Rubbing Rugs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/rubbing-rugs-10221/)

Horse_Chick 06-16-2008 04:59 AM

Rubbing Rugs

Hi

My horse is rubbing on his wither, i put a bib on him but it hasn't helped.
How could i stop this???

Thanks
XX

Miss Katie 06-16-2008 06:21 AM

It could be that the rug doesnt fit properly. Does it hang down over the back of his rump, or is the cut around the neck wrong for the horse??
Do you have a picture of the horse in the rug??

Horse_Chick 06-16-2008 07:49 AM

Hi

It is a combo rug. But yes i do think that it is maybe a bit too small for him because the neck bit is always coming undone . I also do have a fleece combo on under his waterproof combo dona. Do you think that this could be why too???
I might try a new rung on him over the next few days.

Thanks
XX

upnover 06-16-2008 08:39 AM

usually if a rug is rubbing a horse it means it doesn't fit properly

barefoothooves 06-16-2008 12:07 PM

Is he high-withered? This last winter I had a rug on the old horse and his withers are high and bony with age, and the rug rubbed it no matter what (the blanket fit the rest of him just fine, even on his shoulder). If it's his withers are so high, maybe you could sew a little pad that fits the shape around the withers to fill in the dip on either side, and take the pressure off the withers themselves? I did that with a saddle pad for this same old horse, and it helped with his saddle, so why couldn't it work for a rug?

buckaroo2010 06-17-2008 10:22 PM

Yeah it may not fit thats why is rubbing him

WalkTrotCanterGallop 06-17-2008 10:39 PM

it might also be worms . . . . just a suggestion. But a horse with worms itchs all over the place but manely the back side,

jazzyrider 06-18-2008 03:19 AM

the simple reason is that the rug is too small. or, it could be too big and is hanging over his rump and pulling the rug backwards making it put more pressure on the wither.

i will eat my left shoe if its worms ;)

the only way to fix this is by getting a rug that fits properly

Horse_Chick 06-18-2008 04:22 AM

Hey

Thanks everyone.
I have brought him a new rug and will put it on him over the next few days and see how that goes.
It is defiantly not worms as he is always wormed and is my show horse so he is very well looked after (except this annoying rubbing LOL)

Thanks again
XX

buckaroo2010 06-18-2008 02:27 PM

I hope the new rug works! :)