The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Horse shoe is not good! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/horse-shoe-not-good-102267/)

ujjal05 11-02-2011 11:44 AM

Horse shoe is not good!

How long does a horse shoe last if the horse is used on concrete roads on a regular basis? Why people dont use temporary shoes like dog shoes for horses? That would remove the need of using nails on hoofs.
Posted via Mobile Device

WickedNag 11-02-2011 11:49 AM

Do a search on the forum for shoeing and barefoot. This has been and will continue to be a debate. There are plenty of people who use boots for horses. I prefer shoes.

Personally I am tired of the barefoot enthusiasts telling me not to shoe my horse. I would rather everyone preach how important REGULAR hoof care is.

Sunny 11-02-2011 11:51 AM

There are "shoes" like "dog shoes."

They're called hoof boots.
Posted via Mobile Device

iridehorses 11-02-2011 11:52 AM

Typically a steel shoe can list up to 6 months on regular ground but I would suspect that the time is a lot shorter on concrete.

There are boots that you can use in place of shoes but they aren't very cost effective and the horse's hoves need to be trimmed anyway.

As for nails in their hoves, they are going in an area that is nerve free and the horse shouldn't feel it at all.

The Copper Kid 11-02-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedNag (Post 1219945)
Do a search on the forum for shoeing and barefoot. This has been and will continue to be a debate. There are plenty of people who use boots for horses. I prefer shoes.

Personally I am tired of the barefoot enthusiasts telling me not to shoe my horse. I would rather everyone preach how important REGULAR hoof care is.

Oh Thank God!!! I am so tired of people telling that a natural hoof is a better hoof... In my opinion which ever one is best for that particular horse is the right choice.

Golden Horse 11-02-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Copper Kid (Post 1219968)
Oh Thank God!!! I am so tired of people telling that a natural hoof is a better hoof... In my opinion which ever one is best for that particular horse is the right choice.

And that is all there is to it, the needs of the horse, some are good barefoot, some need shoes, depends on the horse, his work, and the terrain he has to work in.

AngieLee 11-02-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1219971)
And that is all there is to it, the needs of the horse, some are good barefoot, some need shoes, depends on the horse, his work, and the terrain he has to work in.

this, I agree with it. whatever you need for that horse inpartucular is what you should do. each horse is diffrent, and depending on what jobs they do and what kind of life they live those spacific needs can vary. My horse is barefoot, i prefer it that way. But if , in the future, his needs change and it would benifit him to have shoes then, guess what, he gets shoes. and in the future if i buy a horse that needs shoes, cool. so be it. every horse is diffrent, we need to take that into consideration and respond acordingly in ways that will benifit them.

as for boots. there are boots that can be used for stuff like road riding, rough terrain etc however they are not very nice on the pocket book, its more convient to have shoes, and many horses don't like to boots. Plus even if you need them for road rides, certain horses may still need shoes for happy, healthy feet.

In my opinion anyways:-)

no hoof, no horse.

as for how long your shoe will last when being regularily on roads. do some research and as your farrier as well, i'm sure he/she will know:-)

bubba13 11-02-2011 01:52 PM

Working hard on concrete, your shoe will not last long, and your horse will not last long, either. Arthritis, concussive force, horse with shortened lifespan.

iridehorses 11-02-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 1219951)
Typically a steel shoe can list up to 6 months on regular ground .

Let me correct that - 6 weeks is typical and depending on how hard the horse is ridden, the farrier can reshoe with the same shoes for another 6 weeks.

Rachel1786 11-02-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 1219951)

There are boots that you can use in place of shoes but they aren't very cost effective and the horse's hoves need to be trimmed anyway.

Just wondering why you think that boots aren't cost effective? I use boots instead of shoes because I believe it is most more cost effective, I pay 40 for a trim every 4 weeks, and a pair of boots cost me 125 and they can last for years. It would cost me $90(I think) every 4 weeks(her feet grow very quickly) to shoe my horse. So by using boots I'm cutting my farrier costs in half + some. She doesn't even need the boots all the time, just when I take her on the trail because you don't know what the terrain is going to be. The only reason I even have to use boots is because a crappy farrier trimmed her feet too short when I moved her to a boarding stable. My normally farrier does do shoes also and he also does a great trim. This guy who the barn uses I wouldn't let him trim or shoe my horses ever again, I now have a barefoot trimmer do the horse there since my normal farrier doesn't go that far.