The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Comet:Some very sad news (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/comet-some-very-sad-news-102337/)

Horseychick94 11-02-2011 10:38 PM

Comet:Some very sad news

1 Attachment(s)
Comet was diagnosed with end stage osteoarthritis. It is both incurable and it is chronic. He has bone on bone rubbing and heavy cartilage damage. Lots of inflammation as well. He also has bone spurs as a result of the arthritis. ALL of this was caused by racing. We were going to inject him but he has been injected so many times during his racing career that it stopped working for him. He can be ridden walk trot. It won't hurt him to be ridden because the damage is already done. Where he is older, it will help him to keep him moving. His stifle(s) are so bad that if he was a human, he would need a knee replacement. His arthritis is going to just get worse and worse. Only thing we can do is give him lots and lots of love, peace, and try to give him comfort.

In the X ray photo : The gap in the blue area is cartilage. There is only a little left. The gray area in the green circle is inflammation. The red ring shows where there should be cartilage. In that area, there is bone on bone. In the pink ring, there are several bone spurs. Where the cartilage is worn off, there is pain. The body tries to heal itself by immobilizing the joint by trying to calcify it. The joint is so large that it is impossible to immobilize so that is where the bone spurs come from

cakemom 11-02-2011 10:53 PM

Aww, poor fella. Give him what comfort you can. Swimming would likely help him some. What about joint supplements?
Posted via Mobile Device

natisha 11-02-2011 10:53 PM

Ouch, that is bad news. Arthritis is such a terrible disease for all living creatures, humans included. Bute will be this horse's friend.
I'm so sorry.

bubba13 11-02-2011 10:56 PM

There are options for managing pain. Surpass. Daily bute. Look up the applications of flaxseed and aspirin for longterm pain relief. Are Tildren or IRAP options for this horse?

SarahAnn 11-02-2011 10:59 PM

:( poor guy! That is terrible news!

We give a joint supplement to one of my mares that contains sea cucumber. I noticed a difference in her within days of using it. I don't know if this will help comet or not, but it may be worth a try. Its called Equu Sea I believe.

I'm hoping for the best for your guy, and that he is able to be comfortable for as long as possible!
Posted via Mobile Device

Horseychick94 11-02-2011 11:31 PM

Right now he is on Previcoxx

Horseychick94 11-07-2011 07:12 PM

Does anyone think that Hyalun would work for him?

natisha 11-07-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseychick94 (Post 1225672)
Does anyone think that Hyalun would work for him?

You could ask your vet but bone on bone is very serious. That's what happens when people need joint replacements.

Kayty 11-07-2011 07:25 PM

Good luck with managing this condition, my tb is in a similar situation with his hocks. He was only 8 when he was diagnosed, I have tried just about every treatment under the sun with no success. Thank you racing industry *shakes head*

Just a word about Bute - its great for short term, but terrible long term. It does some shocking damage to the kidneys so is not generally recommended to be administered for more than 2 weeks at a time.

bubba13 11-07-2011 07:28 PM

Many horses live on daily bute for years and years. Unless the horse has a sensitivity issue, it is generally considered safe to administer up to two grams a day, generally split into two one-gram doses. No, it's not ideal, and yes, you have to watch out for signs of ulcers, but more often than not the pain relief benefits outweigh the side effects. And this information is coming from the agreement of three respected equine veterinarians as well as personal experience.