The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Cooler Questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/cooler-questions-102346/)

nicole25 11-03-2011 01:16 AM

Cooler Questions

So I understand the basic concepts of a cooler. I will be using it this up coming winter after riding. Beau is a sweater especially under the saddle. I have been rubbing him off with a dry towel and that is doing a pretty okay job right now. It it getting increasingly colder especially with the snow that we just had. So my question or questions I should say would be, do i keep the cooler on him until he is dry? Can i turn him out in the cooler if he isnt totally dry? Also how long does it typically take for the cooler to dry him off so to say.

Also any other cooler tips would be great. This is my first winter that I have a horse that is fully mine so I am still learning about winter care.

thanks!

Wallaby 11-03-2011 02:00 AM

Subbing. :)

kitten_Val 11-03-2011 07:30 AM

You can turn out in cooler, but it'll be all dirty (and possibly damaged) after one good roll or butt scratch on tree. :wink: I've heard people putting cooler and then waterproof turnout sheet on top of it before turning out. Personally I wipe mine with big human towel and then brush and then let her go, and re-brush when she's dry. I use cooler only when I trailer after the lesson (if the horse is very sweaty) and it's cold outside.

Skyseternalangel 11-03-2011 05:53 PM

I use a square cooler usually only in the colder months if we've worked really hard and he's very sweaty. I just pop the cooler on him for a good 10 minutes and fold it back until the area where his kidneys are is completely dry. Sometimes it takes up to 30 minutes. I always curry after the cooler has been on to fluff up his hair and provide my horse with a little extra warmth too by getting the circulation going.

I've heard you can layer it underneath a turnout sheet for extra warmth while it sucks out all the moisture.. but I wouldn't turn them out with only the cooler on. Like Kitten_Val said, it'd get damaged and dirty.

nicole25 11-03-2011 06:07 PM

Thank you! That helped. Basically I keep it on him until he is fairly dry brush him out and I can turn him back out because he is out during the day and in at night.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 11-03-2011 07:09 PM

Yeah that sounds like a great plan :) Just be sure to wash the cooler at least once a week so it doesn't get grimy from sweat

Arksly 11-03-2011 07:23 PM

I've attempted to turn out with a cooler before and my poor horsey ended up all tangled up. The cooler I was using had hind leg straps and a buckle on the front but apparently it wasn't enough. Now, if I ever have to leave a cooler on my horse and leave for a while I put on a stretchy surcingle-type thing around their barrel and I found it keeps the cooler in place better.

Also, I'm a big fan of using a blow dryer in winter. I don't know your situation but I have access to a barn with electrical outlets we can use so I just blow dry my horse off. Now, some can't stand it and others really enjoy it.

Good luck with your new horse!

nicole25 11-04-2011 12:34 AM

I never thought of the blow dryer! I might try that, Wal Mart has like ten dollar ones and I have access to an outlet right by his cross ties.

And as far as washing the cooler. Just wash it like I was saddle pads? I would probably bring that to the laundromat though, dont think my mom would enjoy that in her washer and dryer. "What are you doing you are gonna break it?!?!" haha

jumanji321 11-04-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicole25 (Post 1221903)
I never thought of the blow dryer! I might try that, Wal Mart has like ten dollar ones and I have access to an outlet right by his cross ties.

And as far as washing the cooler. Just wash it like I was saddle pads? I would probably bring that to the laundromat though, dont think my mom would enjoy that in her washer and dryer. "What are you doing you are gonna break it?!?!" haha

I put my pads in the washer and hang them to dry so they aren't damaged by the heat. As long as you aren't putting a massive amount of fabric, one cooler should be okay.

Skyseternalangel 11-04-2011 10:00 AM

That or use a vaccum