The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   He's bucking and rearing!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/hes-bucking-rearing-10241/)

Luv 2 Ride 06-16-2008 02:05 PM

He's bucking and rearing!!

I just recently started riding the gelding I got from a rescue. I have had him for about two months and he is very comfortable with the barn schedule...feeding, grooming, round pen work ect. I have no idea of his back ground. So I tacked him up and took him in the arena and we just walked circles and eights for about 20 minutes for 3 or 4 days. All was perfect so I decided to try try a trot. I started smooching and giving leg pressure with no results so I continue smooching and give small kicks with no results. I tried a crop on the sholder and rump. Nothing! He would flench as if he had a fly on his side with my gentle kicks so I tried a spur! (Just a barrel spur nothing harsh) WOW!! I thought I was in the saddle bronc at a rodeo. I did not just give up and get off (at least I was getting some result) we did this several times. I would flex his neck to get him to stop and when I would release the preasure he would rear up. So I don't know what to do now. I have ridden him since just at a walk but I want to continue to work with him and a spur does not look like the answer so I need some advice. From working with him at a walk I know he has ridden. I am able to get him to do everything I ask including to back. What should I try with him??

Sara 06-16-2008 02:44 PM

Go back to groundwork, teach him to trot to a voice command on the lunge line. That's what I would do anyway :) But first I'd make sure he doesn't have back pain issues...some things they will tolerate at a walk, but not any faster.

kitten_Val 06-16-2008 02:53 PM

Sara is right. Groundwork, lunging. Can you may be follow another horse so he would keep the pace to see whether he'll trot/lope? If he was SO jumpy to the spurs it sounds like he was abused with them before. :( Many people love to cowboy with spurs making permanent damage to the horse (of course, I'm not talking about those using them correctly).

PoptartShop 06-16-2008 03:07 PM

Yess, do lots of groundwork & lunging! ;) & check his tack if he has any problems with fitting.

Luv 2 Ride 06-16-2008 04:23 PM

Ok, so back off the riding and go back to the ground work. For how long?? How will I know he is ready?

Sara-I am able to get him to walk, trot, lope and change directions in the round pen pointing using pressure points but not by voice command. And I have worked him in a saddle. How would I test for back pain issues??

Kitten- I have tried following another horse. We brought another horse in the arena and tried following and going side by side....with no responce. At a walk he just seems so laid back..nothing seems to get him worked up. We even loped the other horse around the arena several times. Hoping he would show some excitment. But none!

Poptart- He is smaller then the other horses in the barn. (14hands) and I am using the smallest/lightest saddle we have. How would I know if it is fitting him incorrectly? I have put the saddle on him and worked him and he did not act differently. And the sweat is even...no dry spots. What else should I be looking for.

Thanks for the help!

Sara 06-16-2008 04:46 PM

Try this: http://www.equisearch.com/horses_rid...ckpain_042706/

That is very basic pain testing. An equine chiro could probably give you more accurate results. Just for clarification, when you mentioned working in the round pen, was that under saddle or lunging/free lunging? If it was just lunging, have you tried having some one lunge him with you in the saddle?

Jennyrose 06-16-2008 06:09 PM

do lots of lunging and when you are asking him to make the transition to trot use a specific voice aid like a clicking of your tongue so when you ride him again you can use that voice aid along side a little squeeze of your legs and eventually you will beable to stop using the voice as he will recognise the squeezing legs as the transition to trot.

buckaroo2010 06-17-2008 10:25 PM

Wow your horse sounds like my horse! You could really beat him with a crop and he wouldnt move but he does with spurs but he doesnt buck or rear...hmm thats odd :shock: :? idk I would go back to doing ground work and stat back up :)

WalkTrotCanterGallop 06-17-2008 10:44 PM

yessssss. teach him verbal commands if nothing else works. Lunge and right before you actively ask him to trot use one verbal command. believe it or not horses learn much like dogs do! :P The whole spur thing is probably why yor horse is a rescue horse. He was probavly abused with spurs, because he wouldnt move at anything else. Just remember the best horse will come with time and pacients

Jubilee Rose 06-17-2008 10:50 PM

In my opinion, this horse sounds like he needs A LOT of work from the ground up and needs to learn the very basics. If he's a rescue horse, and you don't know his background ... from what you're saying, he sounds very very green. Not trying to sound mean or anything, but I think you should see about getting a trainer to help you work with him. If you don't know how to be correcting these things (and believe me, I wouldn't either) then a trainer who can work one on one with him, building him back up is what he needs. That's great though that you have a rescue horse. I just don't know if right now it's entirely safe for you to be working with this horse. You don't know where he's from or anything. You said he has great manners otherwise right? That's great to hear. :wink: But I would definitely suggest getting someone more experienced with handling green horses to work with you, or maybe even do a half-lease. Again, not trying to sound mean, but I really think some basic but disciplined training from an expert is what this horse needs; some sort of regime to get him on track. Good luck though and let us know how to it works out. :)